Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop items disappeared

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnduh

johnduh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Operating System: Windows XP

Desktop icons all missing, the right-click option is not working. Can not change the background appearance. The taskbar is working.

I have Kaspersky Internet Protection and performed a scan. It detected and quarantined 1 trojan that is a legal software that can be used by criminals for damaging your computer or personal data PDM Trojan. Generic.

Ran a Malwarebytes and found 2 low urgency trojans. Disinfected both, but forgot to log what they were. After running this, I got some of my desktop items back and right-click is working and changing the background is possible.

When I click the Start tab and select the all programs, most of the programs are not there and looks to be deleted from the list.

Should I run a Hijackthis log here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

Please post the complete results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
  • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
    -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-yyyy-mm-dd
-- Vista, Windows 7, 2008: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-yyyy-mm-dd

The symptoms you describe can be indicative of a side effect from the HDD Defrag family of rogue security programs which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks some of their files have been deleted. Newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue delete Quick Launch and Start Menu items/folders.

See this example guide which includes removal instructions and using unhide.exe (Step 17), a tool which will remove the "hidden" attribute on all files and attempt to restore Quick Launch and Start Menu items to their proper location. When done you will need to restore the hidden attributes to those files manually. To do that, open Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and make that change there.

Note: Do not clean out your temporary files/folders until this issue is resolved.

Should I run a Hijackthis log here?

HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. Further, HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Therefore, it is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places and its log may not always reveal all the malware on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

Referrals are made to the "Preparation Guide" and logs are then posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum if we cannot assist you here or more powerful tools are required for disinfection.

Edited by quietman7, 19 May 2011 - 06:50 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users