Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What To Buy -- Norton?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:59 PM

Time to buy new protection. Running NAV 2003, which I upgraded online to 2004. Now here it is, 2006.

Looking for thoughts on what to buy for home PC (IBM Thinkpad/Win98), used for email, shopping, research, general time-wasting.

Any thoughts on what to buy? Where to buy cheapest??

THX

Deb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

I am a big fan of AVG Free...and yes its free :thumbsup:

Other great AV software is kapersky, nod32, but am not 100% sure they will work on 98 or not.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi DebMarieGreene

If you are going to buy ,I recommend Panda AV

If you want free I recommend Avast as many folk in this forum use it. and there are a few other good choices here in this Bleepingcomputer article: See the 3rd pinned item Virus and Malware Resources.
There is also a
Tutorial to remoe Norton: see first pinned.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

Cool I see Grinler just posted some advice at the same time

Edited by boopme, 04 January 2006 - 03:04 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

My advice is not necessarily right though :thumbsup: AV software is very much a personal preference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users