Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Redirect Virus to Disabled Keyboard and Mouse

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Crumbum1

Crumbum1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hello! I currently work in the IT field at a small software firm, I do everything from building systems to minor programming. This is my first time posting although I have used the website for tips for a long time.

I have been trying to fix a system for work remotely for the past 2 days. What started off as very tough Redirect Virus and Malware combo ended up leaving me withought keyboard mouse and DVD drive. I spent alot of time scanning and removing Virus' and Malware andfinally got to a point where a google search would not redirect me I believed I had removed all of the Virus and Malware and thought I was in the clear... or so I thought.

Because I was working on this system remotely with LogMeIn the keyboard and mouse that was controlling the infected system were not plugged directly into it. The morning after I thought I had gotten the system all cleaned up and ready to go I get a call from my client saying after many restarts the Keyboard and Mouse were not working. I logged in via LogMeIn and it worked fine for me, I went to device manager and the system showed that the Keyboard Mouse and DVD drive all had a yellow warning "!" next to them saying...

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)"

Before I started to remove any of the infections on the system I was able to use keyboard and mouse, so somehow during the removal the registry values have been affected.

Unfortunately I went on to do a system repair from the Windows CD hoping it would clean up the registry for me. after the repair started I realized I still had no keyboard and mouse soonec I got to a point where I had to click a Dialogue box to contiunue the Windows repair continuously looping at this point no matter even if I do a hard restart.

I have BartPE loaded up on the system now so I can at least try and change some of the registry values.

Hopefully once I can get the registry values fixed for Mouse and/or Keyboard I can finish the Windows repair that is stuck then get this system back to my customer.

I was hoping someone has seen this happen before and knows where I might be able to start cleaning up the registry through BartPE.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users