Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Norton Delete An Email Account?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lula

lula

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but I would just like to eliminate all possibilities. On Dec 18th, I activated the Yahoo mail scan on my Norton Internet Security 2005. This required me to enter my yahoo mail account password, which I did with some trepidation, but this is Norton, so I thought it would be ok.
The next morning I sent an email, left my computer for a couple of hours and when I returned I found my log in session had expired - there is only me here using the computer. I re-logged in to get the message that my ID was not taken, was I trying to register? In disbelief I tried again and again, the same message came up. I then went to my other mail account ( which isnt registered on the Norton) sent myself an email, and it was returned because the account didnt exist.
At this stage I was panicking, I checked my non yahoo account to make sure yahoo hadn't deleted me, nothing. I then re-applied for the ID, which I now have but as a new account , but obviously I lost all the contents of the old one. I also have a 360 page with that account which I cannot now access, in fact I can't access any part of 360, although the page is still there. I have also tried from another computer.
I won't go into the reams of correspondence I have had, or tried to have, with Yahoo about this. I'm assuming as they are seeming to look into it that yahoo didn't close the account, so is it possible that something went awry with my Norton and it deleted /caused to be deleted my yahoo mail account?? Have I been spoofed in some way?
I have tried running Norton in safe mode but it wont open because of an Integration problem. I now have all email scanning disabled, but before I lose faith in Norton totally and get something else, has anyone got any ideas on whether it could be Norton at fault?? I'm only considering ths because its the only thing that was changed and it seemed to happen straight after I sent the first email ( and the last) that was scanned using Norton.
By the way, that one infamous email I sent was clean.

Sorry this is such a long post, thank you anyone who reads to the end.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

I've never heard of this before. Norton deleting an Email account.. It could be a complete coincidence that yahoo purged old names and yours got caught in it by an error. But that seems unlikely. Maybe try getting in contact with the main yahoo webmaster. Im sorry to hear about the loss though, for any matter, i wouldnt recommend NAV for protection anymore. Im sorry for the lack of links, but im at school right now. I would use Kaspersky anti virus, Panda Titanium, or AVG Free anti virus. Quite honestly, it should be common sense to email users what's a potential threat, and what's not. If you see something you dont know or know you dont need, dont download it, its as simple as that. This isnt directed at you, but sitll i know alot of people that accept unknown files from people they've never heard of before. Anyway, go with one of the 3 i talked about, and try getting in contact with the main yahoo webmaster. See what he says.

#3 lula

lula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, I was beginning to think I'd made a real fool of myself. I agree it must all have been some wierd coincidence. I never open mail from people I dont know, but still, who knows, I may have got caught by something and not realised. Thanks for the recommendations, I havent a clue how to get in touch with the yahoo webmaster, is there actually a real person there?! I have found out though that this sort of thing has happened to other people, so I dont feel so alone...thank you for your time, I'll check out your recommendations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users