Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange PC jerk/lag

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ridnarhtim

Ridnarhtim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi all,

I've been using my new build for about a month now, and I've noticed a strange and slightly annoying problem. It's a little hard to explain, so please bear with me for a minute. I also hope this is the right forum to post this.

What happens is that I get random 'jerkiness' or lag. I've noticed this in games, though more in some that others, where it manifests itself by the game freezing for about 2-3 seconds and the sound looping, before the game goes on normally. Bioshock 2 and Borderlands have been running perfectly fine without this happening at all, whereas Half-Life 2 (and, generally, all Source games) has been giving me this a lot.

It also happens when using firefox, more at some times than others (I'm guessing it's site dependent). For example, right now while I'm typing, the computer stops reacting every few minutes or so, just for a few seconds, and then everything I've typed in that time appears quickly. Finally, it happens occasionally while watching video. Youtube is particularly bad.

The CPU and memory usage are normal/low, and neither really seems to spike when this happens. CPU and GPU temperatures are all normal, and again don't really seem particularly high at times when this happens. Nothing in my computer is overclocked (other than the stock clock for the graphics card).

Really hope someone has some suggestions. Build details are in my signature.

Thanks

Rid

Edited by Ridnarhtim, 18 May 2011 - 12:45 PM.

SSD: 128GB Crucial RealSSD
MB: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
CPU: Intel i5-2500k
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1600Mhz)
GK: 1280MB Palit GTX 570 Sonic
SK: Asus Xonar DG
Case: Silverstone FT-02
Cooler: Corsair H7O

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Just tell me how much memory you have, how much memory is free, operating system, and do you have any hard drive activity when the freezes/stutters occur?

EDIT: I see your sig now. What drivers on the 570?

Edited by dpunisher, 18 May 2011 - 12:36 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Ridnarhtim

Ridnarhtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

I have 8GB of RAM, and about 2.5 of that is in use pretty much consistently. Obviously, it's refusing to do it right now so I can't check if there is drive activity. I'll make sure to check if it happens again (it's an SSD, so I can't hear the telltale sound of the drive working away).

The nvidia drivers are 270.61

Edited by Ridnarhtim, 18 May 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#5 Ridnarhtim

Ridnarhtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ok, I was able to start with all services, and it seemed to run well. I was able to start firefox, have 3 youtube videos running and check facebook and a few other tabs, and it was completely fluid.

Now I've booted with all startup items, and opening new tabs seems to take a second longer, and the jerks are beginning to happen already. So clearly something there is the problem. I will start adding them in one by one.

Thanks for the tip.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sure thing.

#7 Ridnarhtim

Ridnarhtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

Actually, nvm that. It seems to be doing it with just microsoft services and no programs set to load on boot. I don't know why it didn't do it before, it does seem very random.

However, the system drive light does seem to turn on whenever it happens, and stays on for the duration of the 'lag.' So I guess it's something to do with the SSD?

Edited by Ridnarhtim, 18 May 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Do you mean the HD activity light? Open task manager to the Processes Tab and sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top. Next time it happens, see if some process is spiking

#9 Ridnarhtim

Ridnarhtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

Nope, nothing like that. Firefox goes to about 6% when I type, but stays there even during the stutters.

It definitely seems to be happening less often at the moment (with no boot items), but it still happens.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Well, in spite of what you said in your first post I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum on this site and make certain.

#11 BrianM86

BrianM86

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

I had a zonet wireless pci card do this to me before, running any wireless cards by any chance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users