Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I done brokened it real good

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tone2theBone

Tone2theBone

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

I work as a consultant and clean malware all the time. My standard M.O. is to run Malwarebytes first and if that doesn't fix an infection, run ComboFix. So I am at fault for ignoring the warnings. Here's my story....

Day 1
A user complains his desktop icons are missing. I remote in and see hard disk error popups (fake) and run Malwarebytes, which finds and removed a bunch of things, PC seems OK after reboot.

Day 2
The following day, issue returns (or at least this is when it was reported to me). Seeing as how MWB failed to fully clean the infection, it was time for the big guns. I disabled AV and ran a fresh version of ComboFix. The blue command window came up as normal with a blinking cursor, but remained like that for 10-15 mins. I tried to cancel it, terminate it, reboot windows... nothing worked I could not do anything on the PC (it appeared frozen except for the still-blinking cursor, and buttons depress when clicked but do nothing). The PC was powered down by holding down the button. Now the PC will not boot. The POST splash screen comes up, it sees the HDD, then instead of booting into Windows, it just goes to a blank, black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. I tried boot disks without luck. There was no XP setup disk onsite to use.

Day 3
I tried the Windows XP Pro setup disk, which is found and the screen displays "Press any key to boot from CD..." Pressing any key seems to work as the counting dots stop counting and the boot order does not go to the hard disk. However the XP disk never loads, it just stops there at "Press any key to boot from CD..."

Is there hope for me? I am having the PC overnighted to my office so I can get my hands on it. What should I try, since I've already tried everything I can think of.
BIOS DTS Self-Test passed
Tried new keyboard, same issue

Signed,
A humbled field engineer
--
Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, and enemy to none. -B. Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

I have asked someone to look here. You will nees a flash drive handy.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Tone2theBone

Tone2theBone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

I have asked someone to look here. You will nees a flash drive handy.

I have a 1GB thumb in my bag of tricks reserved solely for the purpose of making boot disks.

Update: Yesterday I got the Windows XP setup disk to run (part way). It went past where it was stuck before, but the PC BSoD'd before I could get into the recovery console to run a FIXMBR. I will have my hands on the box this afternoon or tomorrow.
--
Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, and enemy to none. -B. Franklin

#4 Tone2theBone

Tone2theBone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

To all those interested, I was not able to recover the PC to its current installation.

Kaspersky's rescue disk was used to scan and remove about 10 threats on the drive, but that didn't allow me to boot to the XP disk. A format was required. In order to determine if the hard drive wipe/reload would solve the problem, I swapped in a known-good hard drive and booted to XP without issue. I used the Kaspersky boot disk (which has a file manager and a web browser too) to recover a few files from the drive and upload them to dropbox.com, including a belarc report with software license codes.

I used the manufacturer recovery disks to format and reload XP.
--

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users