Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicating a cd in XP Home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Can't think where to post this, so as l use XP Home (SP3), it's here. Sorry if it's in the wrong forum.
Now this is going to be a really dumb question, but l have a bootable cd disk with the XP Home OS on it.
How do l just duplicate this onto another cd disk, so that disk will be the same and bootable?
Is there a way of doing it within XP or is there a freebie program available to make life easy?
Told you it was a dumb question!
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Technically, you are not supposed to make copies, so I think being here would be barking up the wrong tree.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

FWIW: There's nothing wrong with making a cuplicate copy of a given CD containing an O/S or Windows...that's what a slipstreamed copy of Windows is, a copy of the original which also includes one or more SPs and other mods the user wants.

The key difference is what the ultimate purpose/use would be...users obviously cannot make copies of their O/S disk with the intent of selling such.

The license mechanixm (PA)...prevents the disc from being misused in the manner that Windows 9x discs were.

IMO, it's smart to make at least one copy of any Windows disk...considering the possibilities of damage, scratches, etc. which could make the media useless.

Louis

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

ok then.....

try this

You make an iso (image) file from the original, then burn the image to a new blank CD.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 18 May 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

Making backup copies of your software disks FOR YOUR USE ONLY is a wise idea.

I always make 2 copies of my software disks. If the original gets scratched or broken and can't be used, the backup comes in handy.

My personal preference, after I copy the disk, is to use the copy instead of the original.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 May 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

All of my MS disk labels say 'Do not make illegal copies of this disk', so if they are used as above, there can be no problem.

Having said that, I always found it extremely difficult to copy my game disks (back in the days).
My burning software (Roxio) wouldn't allow copying; but there are always workarounds.

I also use the copies, Queen-Evie; the originals are too expensive to risk.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Games are different...copyright protection for purposes of preventing unauthorized use.

Nothing illegal about making a copy of an O/S installation disk for personal use.

PA serves that purpose (preventing unauthorized use) on MS Windows discs.

Louis

#8 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

If still looking for software "imgburn" is another good choice. Used it to create xp slipstream bootable CD.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users