Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced DC Jack, now some keys on keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beacher

Beacher

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi all,

I have a Samsung R522 that I disassembled to replace the DC jack, and while disassembling, I put some pressure on the keyboard cable going to the motherboard while trying to reach in to disconnect it. There is no signs of damage, no kinked wires, no missing connections that I can see, but when I put it all back together, certain keys on the keyboard are not working (backspace, up,left,right arrow keys), it seems as if one of the 10-12 small wires going from the keyboard to the motherboard is damaged (my diagnosis) since most keys work fine.

Now, I'm going to take it apart again when I get home and check the back side of the motherboard to be sure there aren't any solder pads that came up where the keyboard cable slides in, but is there anything else I could check? Is it more likely that the cable got damaged within the keyboard rather then the part going to the motherboard? I'm thinking I'll need to order a new keyboard online, but I wouldn't mind some reassurance that a new keyboard will likely fix my problem.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beacher

Beacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Anyone? :(

#3 AstroIROC

AstroIROC

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yes more than likely your problem is with the cable/keyboard than with the motherboard!! Take the KB back out and look the cable over carefully, some times you will find the contact tabs at the end that plugs into the MB will tear away from the cable and bend back and not make contact. If you are carefull you may be able to glue it back down, but its real small. a further note you can find a replacement on e-bay pretty cheap

good luck
I am hungry for knowledge

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

Those sockets for the keyboard ribbon shouldn't need any pressure to release/install. Did you release the ribbon clip correctly?

Agree with above, check for damaged cable first as that is the most common problem then check the actual socket on the motherboard to see if it "lifted".

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Beacher

Beacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks to both of you, I've sourced a replacement, but hoping not to go that route as it's additional cost (obviously) and coming from china (weeks to get here).

The cable looks fine on the end that goes to the motherboard, the other end goes into the keyboard and I can't see it. Last thing to check is the solder pads on the backside of the motherboard, I will report back.

Thanks.

#6 AstroIROC

AstroIROC

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

There won't be solder pads on the opposite side of the MB it is layered and don't go through to the other side on that socket, it is soldered right to the MB at the point where you plug it in.

#7 Beacher

Beacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

Ah, thanks for the tip, saves me from disassembling the laptop again, so it's either not making contact right at the connector on the mobo (which from everything I see it is), or something got pulled loose within the keyboard, in which case I need a new one any how.

#8 AstroIROC

AstroIROC

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

correct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users