Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best Anti Virus Programme

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Oz Steve

Oz Steve

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi just a quick question i have a dual processor pent 4
2 gig memory, i am running Win XP PRO i run AVG free
I have seen a few posts saying AVG had faults,
What is the best AV programme to use
I also run Spybot s+d ,ad-aware , Superantispyware, spyware guard, Spywareblaster, F-secure blacklight,
Is there any other programmes i should use
Thanks for your advise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

NOTE: With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be effectively disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools...after restarting the computer, AVG re-enables all protections. Read these related discussions:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.
If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:You can also supplement your security tools and get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

Edited by quietman7, 18 May 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mpowell

mpowell

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Quiteman7, very informational and I learned quite a bit from your posting. I did not know about AVG 2011 partnership with Limewire, I have been using AVG and because of your article I will be switching to something new. Can I ask you one more question? You mention that NOD32 uses a small foot print, what other good AV programs have small foot prints? In the past I have run into AV products that suck up all the system resources and leave the system barely running. Thanks again, Matt
Oh, one more thing: The MajorGeeks link - "Statement on AVG Free 2011" in your post above is broken. Just a heads up.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

The MajorGeeks link - "Statement on AVG Free 2011" in your post above is broken. Just a heads up.

They must have finally pulled it. I fixed the link to point to COU which documented it.

You mention that NOD32 uses a small foot print, what other good AV programs have small foot prints? In the past I have run into AV products that suck up all the system resources and leave the system barely running.

I have not used anything other than NOD32 and avast in years, so you will need to get opinions from others.

Edited by quietman7, 18 May 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#5 Oz Steve

Oz Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thank you Quietman7 for your informative reply,
I will be looking at another Antivirus Programme ASAP
Plus i will be looking at the Spyware and Malware Programmes recomended,
Once again thanks for your help and assistance
Steve

#6 billspice

billspice

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

personally i think norton 360

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

You're welcome.

#8 apcsllc

apcsllc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Ive got to comment on this as I believe many people are really misled about this.. FIRST OF ALL do not run more than one AV on your system at any given time.... i dont mean scanners or removal tools i mean AntiVirus like AVG and Norton or anyother combination... I do virus removal and I cant tell you how many computers i get that have the popular paid versions like Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee and I take hundreds of virus,trojan,worms, and everything else you can imagine of their computers. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON TO PAY FOR ANTIVIRUS when the free ones are good enough, especially for home use. Norton and Kaspersky and those popular commercial paid ones are very difficult to take off...wonder why? why do I need a tool to take off that program? anyways..dont waste your money Microsoft Essentials Security and AVAST FREE EDITIONS are all thats needed for home use...and again ONLY ONE....

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Yes, using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously and issues with Windows resource management. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus may interpret the activity of the other as suspicious behavior and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus or a suspicious file and then the other also finds the same, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus or suspicious file. Each anti-virus may attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it at the same time resulting in a resource management issue as to which program gets permission to act first. If one anit-virus finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a threat has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for malware and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, many anti-virus vendors encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. Further, dual installation is not always possible because most of the newer anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to download and installation of another. If the installation does complete with another anti-virus already installed, you may encounter issues like system freezing, unresponsiveness or similar symptoms while trying to use it.

Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a timeYou can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

personally i think norton 360

I think Norton does not have small memory footprint. Last time I installed Norton 360 on a friends computer, it only made it slower.

In my experience, avast!, Nod32 and Avira do not consume much system resources.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

You dont have MalwareBytes AntiMalware listed.
If you look in our Virus Removal guides MalwareBytes is always the tool of choice.

I personally quit using Ad-Aware years ago in favor of Malwarebytes.
For AV software I like both Nod32 and Avast.

I still use Spybot on occasion but not often. It is good at finding older malware that the newer programs dont but it has fallen out of favor.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users