Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could my files be infected?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DrSmart

DrSmart

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:05 AM

Hi, yesterday I ran a scan and I was infected with virtool.win32.obfuscator.xz v, and probably other things, so I reinstalled windows and reformatted.

I of course backed up my data (Pictures, Music, Documents, etc) on a usb stick, and I was wondering, could my data/usb stick be infected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Anyone?

#3 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

Anybody know???

#4 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

C'mon people reply. *Bump* :D

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello, sorry all your replies make it look as if you are being helped.

This is always possible. clean your drive.
If XP you can use b]Download and Run FlashDisinfector[/b]

You have a flash drive infection. These worms travel through your portable drives. If they have been connected to other machines, they may now be infected.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

When you plug the drive into the clean computer make sure you hold down the SHIFT key, which will stop any AutoRuns from executing. You can then run this tool:

Running On a clean Comp ., You would need to run sub's flash disinfector on the clean computer first and hold down the shift key before connecting the external drive.

For other OS's ..Panda USB Vaccine
http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

What if I just insert my flash drive on my clean computer, hold down the shift key, and scan the drive?

Could I get infected doing this?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

That would be OK
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

That would be OK

Is there anyway I could still get infected?

Also, could connecting to a public wifi (with an infected laptop connected) give me a virus?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:
If you are alreadt infected by malware like downloaders or backgoor bots and rootkit types it would be easy to get more as the malware are already looking to bring in more malwares.

#10 DrSmart

DrSmart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Okay, thanks for the help. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users