Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unwanted files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vokab310

vokab310

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

my grandma just bought a dell with windows 7 on it, is there a free program i can run to take off all the crap they put on there she dont need? i dont want to go and start uninstalling stuff i dont know about im going to visit her in a few days and would like to fix it for her. thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

my grandma just bought a dell with windows 7 on it, is there a free program i can run to take off all the crap they put on there she dont need? i dont want to go and start uninstalling stuff i dont know about im going to visit her in a few days and would like to fix it for her. thanx

You must do it yourself, how will anyone tell you what programs your granma needs :P Ask her what she uses, and then uninstall all necessary!
Also download TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

With Regards,

Joshua

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Uninstalling programs serves no purpose unless you are short of disk space. However, if there are programs loading with the system that you don't need you can download and run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Manager to manage which programs run at startup: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

#4 TechSafer

TechSafer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Just grab Revo Uninstaller and delete all the rubbish.

Hope this helps.

Louis :)

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Please DO NOT follow the advice in the post above unless you know what you want to uninstall. And even then, there is no reason not to use the built in program uninstaller. While Revo is a great app, it should only be used when necessary since it can potentially uninstall more than you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users