Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for cheap desktop computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

My old HP laptop is dying and has too many problems and is too old to make it worth fixing, and my only desktop computer is a Compaq. I want to purchase a new desktop computer that is actually fast enough to display Flash content and can play a few games. However, I am not sure what hardware is the best. There are a few concerns that I have about today's low-end desktop computers.

It seems that computers within my price range only meet the minimum RAM requirement for Windows 7. I have seen Windows XP running on 64MB of RAM, and I don't want the same experience. Why do computer companies do this?

The only games I have are old enough that I don't need a very good video card. Onboard video should be fine. However, I have heard that Nvidia chipsets and video cards are unreliable and fail due to soldering issues.

Considering my past experience with Compaq, I don't want another.

I do not need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse unless the new computer does not have PS/2 ports. Even then, I have a USB mouse that I can use with this computer.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I build it myself or buy a prebuilt computer, considering that I will not be able to order the computer online?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

What is your budget? If your budget is really low then a prebuilt would suit.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

I would like the computer to be as cheap as possible while having a decent processor and enough RAM to handle basic tasks and some games. I don't want to spend much more than $400. However, I do not know which processor would be the best or how much RAM I really need, considering that most computers only come with the minimum amount of RAM that Windows 7 requires.
Here is a better list of questions than the ones I posted earlier:
Which CPU would give the best performance for the money? I would like a dual-core processor, but I don't know if an AMD or Intel processor would be better.

How much RAM do I really need? Is Windows 7 able to run properly with only the minimum required RAM?

Should I use a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows? I don't think I have any software that requires 32-bit Windows. If I do, it is a Windows 95 program and wouldn't run under Windows 7 anyway.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:31 AM

This desktop should suit it. This desktop has 2GB of ram which is sufficient for handling basic tasks. The Intel Core 2 Duo should be fine, i use my Core 2 Duo for gaming. 32bit windows should do. Also you can try running your windows 95 program using Windows XP mode since this desktop is Windows 7 Professional, you use that mode.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

That computer costs too much to only have 2GB of RAM. I tried the old software on Windows XP and it wouldn't run properly, even under compatibility mode.
Those computers at Newegg are very expensive.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Tiger Direct has some pretty cheap XP systems. Looks like they are pretty much off lease systems though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

I would like to have Windows 7 and a new computer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Refurbished systems have the same warranty as new systems...no logical reason to shy away from those.

Off-lease systems are a tad different :).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Detail;163_1099_32554_32554,Price;Price5

You can't just look at one page...when shopping on the Web.

Louis

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

I don't want to buy the computer online. I just want to know which CPU is the best and how much RAM I need before I go to a store.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

2GB of ram is really enough for basic tasks and a Pentium dual core, celeron or a core 2 duo would be a suitable CPU.

>Michael 

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

Which CPU would give me the best performance in this price range? Most low-end computers come with AMD processors, but there are some that have Intel processors.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

If lack of a credit card is the problem with buying online, you can get a prepaid one at Walmart
for a $3 fee. Walmart MoneyCard Same as a debit card. Visa.

Otherwise you are just going to have to visit stores in your area to find one. Choice will be limited.
Check out this one. Should work fine for your requirements. HP Slimline Desktop PC - Walmart.com
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

I don't want an Nvidia chipset or graphics card. I have heard of many failures of the GeForce 6150 chipset. I just want to know which CPU would be the best and how much RAM I need so I know what to look for. I don't need recommendations for a whole computer yet.

Does 64-bit Windows 7 actually run well with 2GB (the minimum requirement) of RAM?

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

"Does 64-bit Windows 7 actually run well with 2GB (the minimum requirement) of RAM? "

From what I have seen its OK but 4 gig is much better performance IMO.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

What about 3GB? I'm currently looking at this computer. I just need to find out if it includes a keyboard since it likely does not have PS/2 ports and I don't have a USB keyboard. I would like Windows 7 Professional and 4GB of RAM, but with by budget I would have to build the computer myself to get those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users