Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox running slow (I know I know...)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sabbott

sabbott

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hey guys,

I've lurked here for a while now, pulling solutions from other people's issues and fixing my own to the best of my ability. This is the first time asking for help specifically so hopefully I do it all right.

I downloaded Firefox 4 figuring it would be wonderful just like previous versions and it probably still is once I get it configured properly. Unfortunately it is running very very slowly for me, to the point that I went back to using IE instead. Often it will take 15 minutes for a page to fully load. I will be honest and say I am not super computer savvy, but am a scientist so I can understand what you're saying pretty well usually. I run windows XP HE version 2002 with SP 3 loaded. Our computer isn't used to heavily so memory issues shouldn't be applicable if that is typical. I usually hate asking to have my hand held, but I'd be lying if I said I was good enough with computers to troubleshoot something like this. I saw a few people on other sites recommend opening FF in safe mode, but never said what to do from there. If anyone is willing to help, I would really appreciate it.

Steven Abbott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 sabbott

sabbott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/k20Du3070Vo2ZtzRISXnF53

Thank you very much!

Steven

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I would recommend getting more RAM like 2x1Gig Sticks.

I would also ditch McAfee they are way to bloated, and use something a little lighter like Microsoft Security Essentials.

#5 sabbott

sabbott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Is the change from 3.6 to 4 really that big that my memory would come into play in the speed of the program? I am honestly asking because I don't know. FF worked great for my until I dl'ed the new version.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Well you can check memory usage by using task manager then going to Performance Tab.

#7 sabbott

sabbott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

I wouldn't know what I was looking at if I tried!!! I see the kernel memory has ~19200 unpaged with ~58000 total. The physical memory is ~662500 available. I don't know what that means, so hopefully that's okay. Either way, I figure our computer is pretty old and we need a new one for sure, but aside from adding new memory via external storage, is there a way to have it run faster? I will look into using the Windows Security Essentials instead of the McAfee. Is the MSE program equivalent to the McAffe system we are currently using?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

Its so much better and faster and takes up less resources.

#9 sabbott

sabbott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

Right on! I will definitely switch to that then. Aside from that however, is there anything else that I can do to speed up FF? I guess I can go back to FF 3.6, but I've never seen a small update to a program react so poorly to my system.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

I would not know, FF4 is a totally new browser.

#11 sabbott

sabbott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Ok not problem. I saw a few other posts on this and other websites talking about add-ons and that sort of thing, so I wasn't sure if that was something that I should be looking out for or not. Thanks for you help and I definitely will look into getting WSE instead of McAfee.

I really appreciate your help

Steven

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

No problem its what we are here.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Try Firefox 4 in safe mode. If that improves its speed then it is one of your addons or plugins causing the problem.
To find out which one simply add them back one at a time.

If you have McAfee Site Advisor, that would be the number one suspect.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Try Firefox 4 in safe mode. If that improves its speed then it is one of your addons or plugins causing the problem.
To find out which one simply add them back one at a time.

If you have McAfee Site Advisor, that would be the number one suspect.

+1
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users