Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

e-machine not booting into windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 POPCR

POPCR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have an e-machine T6524 that freezes when loading Windows XP while I'm trying to boot-up. Booting into safe mode nets the same results. I have tried the restore CD that came with the system and it freezes as well at the "PC Angel System restore" screen. I have even tried replacing the HD in hopes that the original one was bad, but I still get stuck at either the PC Angel screen or the starting windows screen when I'm attempting to install the OS on the blank HD. Currently I have the original HD back in but I'm not able to do anything, I can't even format it. I have even tried resetting the memory, also to no avail. Any assistance would be grateful.

Thanks in advance, POPCR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

If you are going frozen that early on, my guess would be hardware failure.

Did you try to boot with one stick of ram at a time?
Did you explore your bios? (not sure of key command on Emachines) Usually an F key or delete key when booting. Can try default settings and save.
You can also remove any devices or cards that are not necessary. PCI cards, CD drive, etc. (note which slots they were in).
Check if you have a mashed USB port? Maybe making a short?
Try different IDE or SATA cables?
Make sure all connections are tight.
Do you have built in integrated graphics or a card?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 POPCR

POPCR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

If you are going frozen that early on, my guess would be hardware failure.

Did you try to boot with one stick of ram at a time? Yes
Did you explore your bios? (not sure of key command on Emachines) Usually an F key or delete key when booting. Can try default settings and save. F10 - same result
You can also remove any devices or cards that are not necessary. PCI cards, CD drive, etc. (note which slots they were in). Removed CD and floppy drive to no avail
Check if you have a mashed USB port? Maybe making a short? On inspection all appear to look good.
Try different IDE or SATA cables? No extra cables to try with
Make sure all connections are tight. yep
Do you have built in integrated graphics or a card? - Built in

See results above. Still having the same issue. Any other suggestions? I'm hoping it's not the motherboard???
Thanks again in advance,
POPCR

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

Worth a read, IMO: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080902154506AAgbmTS

Louis

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Another thing.... Have you installed any new programs or drivers lately? If so, try uninstalling the most recent stuff. Could have something to with it.

Frank O' The Mountain

#6 POPCR

POPCR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

Louis and Frank,
Thanks for the responses, however I'm still having the issue. I've installed nothing new, and even if I did, I couldn't uninstall it now anyway. My fear is that I will spend enough $$ in troubleshooting this that I may as well scrap it and get a new one.

Thanks again,
POPCR

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well I think F10 at boot time is the command to start the recovery. I would try the other F keys and try to access the bios, and check the settings. See if the time and date are correct in there. If not, your battery might be failing. Sometimes it's good to have a spare computer or 2 around. (I have about 20) All free from the side of the road.

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users