Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network password?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lksdrinker

lksdrinker

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

I recently replaced a computer at work and am now running windows 7 (had XP previously). I've connected to my network at work (small network with 4 computers and two printers). It seems that I am connected and everything works (ie I can print and can access the internet). However, I cannot access the network computer where "shared" files get saved. Whenever I try to access it a prompt asks for the username and network password. I assumed the same username and password that worked on my original computer would work on this computer....but it doesnt! Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Does the computer you are accessing have the same credentials on the shared drive?

#3 lksdrinker

lksdrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

In order to access the shared resource you must have the same username and password to access the shared resources as before. If you don't then you will not be able to access.

#5 lksdrinker

lksdrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

I tried to use the same username and password that used to work on my old computer. I never intentionally set up a new username and password.

Is there any way to determine what the username and password is?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

At this point I would recommend that you have the IT Guy delete your current your permissions on the shared drive and readd them.

#7 lksdrinker

lksdrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

I wish it were that simple. We dont have an IT guy. Can you explain how I can delete the current permissions?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Do you have access to the shared resource at the administrative level?

#9 lksdrinker

lksdrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think your asking if I can sign into the computer running the server as an administrator? I'm sure I physically could....but I might need some guidance there as well. (forgive my ignorance....while I know a bit about computers a lot of this is just over my head. But I'm sure I could do it with a little guidance).

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

We need to verify that before continuing.

#11 lksdrinker

lksdrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

Ok. Well I need some guidance as to how/where I do that. I just checked the computer that runs our server. It looks like there are actually three separate networks: Mshome, Office and Workgroup. It seems that my computer (the one which I am trying to use to access the files on the server) is the only computer on Workgroup. When I go to access that computer from the server, I am being asked for a username and password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users