Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OPEN WITH...... box appears on everything

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sandgear

sandgear

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

I am not computer savvy, so bear with me and this is my first post. I had a previous infected computer that I resolved with RKILL. I now have a problem with the OPEN WITH box apprearing on everything. This is the window that asks you what program you want to open the program with. i.e. ADOBE, PIC VIEWER I.E. all the files on my computer. I was able to download ad/Malware but cannot get to open due to the OPEN WITH FILE. I was able to finally get past some programs by RIGHT CLICKING the program and enter the RUN AS file and unchecking the protect my computer file. I tried this to go to a restore point and was able to go to a date aknow the comp was working.It did everything and when it was restarting I noticed the OPEN WITH box appeared for a short time and have the same proplem.
When I used this method to go arounf the box the computer does not respond or it says there is no path.
When I power up my computer does not reconize

Any help?

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2011 - 07:25 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

<<I had a previous infected computer that I resolved with RKILL.>>

FWIW: RKill...doesn't "resolve" anything, it's intended to stop certain processes from automatically launching/running.

If that was all that you used to overcome malware...you are still infected.

"Rkill is a small, freeware and portable tool designed to terminate active malware processes allowing you to use other removal tools." Quote from http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/ .

Louis

#3 sandgear

sandgear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Yes, rkill did not fix the problem. Frustrating

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

As Louis told you, RKILL does not resolve anything. It is created by Grinler, the owner of BC to facilitate in malware removal by removing infections from memory temporarily. If your system is infected, which it appears to be, said malware will return upon system restart.

You might want to start a topic in the Am I Infected forum to have our malware folks take a look at it for you.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I will just move this to the Am I Infected forum, where someone will assist you better :).

Louis

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hello please do all these things in this order.

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.

Dowmload a new RKill..
Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Immediately Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Arkansas

Arkansas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

I had the same problem on a neighbor's computer. It was infected with XP Internet Security 2011. The Rogue Virus superimposed it's window over everything. It blocked MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes from running and prevented IE8 and Firefox from being able to open. I downloaded a program called VipreRescue which is a full fledged AV program with current definitions. I loaded it to a thumb drive and ran it from the command line. It got the virus but afterward I could nor open executables as everything asked for what program to open with. The problem was a corrupt rundll32.exe file in c:\windows\system32. The earlier fix from DonKnox.com fixed that problem and allowed the executables to run. I was able to download MS Security Essentials and the latest update and Malwarebytes and the lastest update. Both show the PC free of Viruses, spyware, etc. As far as I can tell, the only remaining problems were that Windows Update will not work properly even after reinstallation and Automatic Updates Shows in the Control Panel as being "On" but it does not show up in running services. Neither Windows Update or Automatic Updates work. There may be other stuff not working but, one step at a time. Hope this gave you some ideas or at least a little help.

#8 sandgear

sandgear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks so much. I will try these.

#9 sandgear

sandgear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Did the EXE File Association Fix and the renamed version of rkill. still could not launch malware i was able to cripple to the restore. i was able to get rid of the OPEN WITH box. just still cannot double click many programs. I could get on the internet for a few minutes. From the run file it says there is no related program. I was able to open most of the programs on the desktop. I know if I can get one malware to go this should be able to finish. Thanks

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Try to run MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 sandgear

sandgear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

I tried the superantispywar/portaplescanner and that actually allowed me to run the program from the disc. i had over 800 entries. I still cannot double click or get on the internet. the double click does not do anything and the right click run as.. doe not work either. I can run rkill as well and some files. I will try the Duog Knox EXE file next.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

See if you can connect like this.

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

I don't know myself what to do on the mouse issue.

#13 anthony f.

anthony f.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

Thanks boopme. I had the same problem and followed your first set of instructions and now my system is back to normal.

#14 sandgear

sandgear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have treid everything above. I have been able to gid rid of the OPEN WITH box. I have been able to download RKILL and Malware but cannot open certain programs.No firefox, Malware Superantispam. I have been able to run Superantispywareprotablescanner right clicking the RUN AS and unchecking the security file. There was over 900 entries. I ran again with only two files. Most of what I have been reading requires opening something and this is were the problem lies. I try to get into some programs and I can see the hour glass breifly appear the does nothing, as well as the RUN AS.. Both on the mouse and keyboard. I treid the start then run... but it says there is no program. I can get i.e. or googlr chrome for a few minutes.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Let's try these.
Some infectins change settings on your computer so that when you launch an executable, a file ending with .exe, it will instead launch the infection rather than the desired program. To fix this we must first download a Registry file that will fix these changes. From a clean computer, please download the following file and save it to a removable media such as a CD/DVD, external Drive, or USB flash drive.

FixNCR.reg

EXE Helper
Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users