Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FixNCR problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 faith766

faith766

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hey,

Recently my computer got infected with a rouge software "Win 7 Total Security 2011". I decided to search the bleeping computers website and I found a tutorial on removing it. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

However, when I try to run FixNCR . reg, it gives me an error stating:

"Cannot import G:/fixNCR.reg: Not all data was successfully written to registry..."

I am not sure what the problem is as I cannot proceed without this step.

Any help will be appreciated.
Please try to respond ASAP.

faith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

The problem seems to be fixed, I just performed a system restore to a date 1 month ago.

This seems to have removed the virus, however, I am planning on using MBAM to make sure that it's gone for sure.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Post the log results after you scan with MBAM.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

Here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6611

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

19/05/2011 5:33:24 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-19 (17-33-24).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 177286
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

Try doing an online scan to see if it finds anything else that the other scans may have missed.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.[/color][/i]
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
    If given the option (when threats are found), choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply. If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log.

#6 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

The scan took a very long time, about 2.5 hours.

Anyways, it found one threat:

C:\Users\Faith\Downloads\avc-free.exe Win32/OpenCandy application deleted - quarantined

And I forgot to mention this when i posted the MBAM log. The first time I scanned with malwarebytes it detected several viruses and removed them.

The log that I posted was the latest log which contained no threats.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

How is your computer running now? Are there any more signs of infection?...strange audio ads, unwanted pop-ups, security alerts, or browser redirects?

#8 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

There doesn't seem to be any problems with the computer anymore.

The only noticeable problem that I had, except the Win 7 Total Security Virus, were a couple of redirects.
I am assuming that when I clicked on a site in google, it redirected me to another site which had a trojan.

Oh well, all's well now!

faith

Edited by faith766, 20 May 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

You're welcome.

If there are no more redirects or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Posted Image > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links:

#10 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have created a system restore point.

And I have yet another concern, when I was surfing on google, I got redirected to another page when I clicked on a link.
However, I clicked back quickly to avoid anything malicious.

I probably shouldn't waste space in this topic as it started off as a Win 7 Total Security Virus and now it's going to redirects. So tell me if I need to post this somewhere else.

Scans show nothing, yet I get these redirects. Is it google's fault? Or something else?

I think this only happens in Firefox, IE seems to be okay.

Thanks,

Faith

Edited by faith766, 20 May 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

This issue will require further investigation. Many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please read the "Preparation Guide".
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.
When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, please reply back here with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

#12 faith766

faith766
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have created a new topic.

Here is the link to it : Google Redirect

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users