Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre error message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

I am getting a bizarre error message from Windows XP Home Edition, upgraded to SP3. I double-click on a filename in Windows Explorer to open a file. When I do this, the program used to open this file loads, and the file opens just as it should. However, I then get an error message in Windows Explorer which says, "Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\EmbCollection - New Desiggns - freebies n purchased\Embroidery Library\Emb Lib - order 5099990 - Daisies,Apr flwrpot, owls\Daisy border - EmbLib - 590908.JAN'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click on the Start button, and then click Search."

This makes no sense at all to me, as Windows has indeed clearly "found" the file, and opened it properly. Why, then, do I get this error message?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

Is "Daisy border - EmbLib - 590908.JAN" the file that you clicked/opened?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

Yes, that's the file I opened.

#4 curetecjames

curetecjames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

I know there's an issue in Windows XP with long file names but I think this only affects files with paths longer than 255 characters.

Try moving the file to say you Desktop and opening it from there...
James

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

What type of file does have .jan extension?
I can't find any info on it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

JAN is a file extension used by Janome Embroidery Digitizing software.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Does it happen with this particular program only?

Let's check something...

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista\Win 7 users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :reg
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Edited by Broni, 17 May 2011 - 07:16 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

Sorry to take so long to get back; had other stuff going on today. Yes, this only seems to happen with this program.

Results of System Look:

SystemLook 04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 23:28 on 18/05/2011 by HP_Administrator
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== reg ==========

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@=""%1" %*"

-= EOF =-

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

That is correct setting.

Did you try to reinstall the program?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

A wild shot here but try clearing the most recently used documents list.

Right click on the start button & go to properties.
Go to the start menu tab & click the customize button
Go to the advanced tab and click the clear list button at the bottom
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

broni, I have deleted/reinstalled this program multiple times over the last 6 months to resolve other issues. This is the first time I've had a situation where the file is clearly loading, but Windows does not seem to know that it's found and loaded the file. Of course this is happening with the embroidery program, which acts a little weird even at the best of times. It is a very old program, but a very good one when it is working properly. I believe it has more in common with a graphics or drawing program than, say a word-processing or database program, as its function is to allow one to create and/or modify embroidery design files for use in an embroidery sewing machine. It does not connect to the internet at all in its functions, so I don't believe that this is a malware issue.

The software was designed as a collaborative effort between Janome, who makes sewing machines, and Wilcom International, about which I know very little, except that they were (and still are) involved in producing digitizing software with Janome. There is an upgraded version of this software available, but it is very expensive -- $1400 US for the newest version. The newest version can be connected to multiple embroidery-only machines, or used with a single sewing/emroidery machine, and has numerous "bells and whistles" that I neither want nor need. My old version was designed to work with only one sewing machine, and has all the functions I need, so I am reluctant to upgrade.

Eyesee, I emptied the most recently used documents list -- it seemed to take quite a long time -- a minute, maybe a bit more, so I'm guessing it was stuffed full (I don't recall ever emptying this list before; is this something that automatically happens when I restart, etc?

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

"this something that automatically happens when I restart, etc?"
No. Windows keeps track of the most recently used files. I dont remember how many but they rotate out.
Was this the last file that was opened or one that was used recently?
Has the file been moved or deleted at all?

What happens if you first start the program and then open the file?
Do you still get the message that way?

Ive seen those embroidery programs before.
They do some cool stuff!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Eyesee,

The file had not been opened for quite some time until I tried it for this test. As to had it been moved, I had made backup copies of a number of purchased design files, and had created or renamed some folders, but since I was trying to load these directly from Windows Explorer, I could see exactly where each file was located.

Actually, there is a related problem from when I was doing these backups that I will post now -- again, a weird one that seems to me to be more a Windows problem. Maybe by posting that one, we can locate the source of the problems, as I am at the point right now where I'm not sure whether these are problems with a) the Digitizer 10K software, B) the embroidery design files themselves (shouldn't be, as they come from a respected company that's been in business for >10 years), or c) a Windows issue.

Going to post the other issue right now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users