Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really old computer help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlekid

littlekid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:29 AM

Hi..
Okay I bought this monitor and computer for 90 dollars...I thought it was a good deal. Anyway I plugged everything in - Turn it on and you can (could) hear it whirring away. But the monitor stays blank. The light on the monitor says its on...so i'm all confused.

The reason I wrote "could" up there is my mum (KNOWS LESS ABOUT COMPUTERS THAN ME!!) changed the power input from 5-something to 110...something popped and now the computer wont turn on..but power must go through it because the monitor light still goes.
If you need anymore details..just ask.

BTW, i am a lil kid. only 13 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:55 AM

The reason I wrote "could" up there is my mum (KNOWS LESS ABOUT COMPUTERS THAN ME!!) changed the power input from 5-something to 110...something popped and now the computer wont turn on..but power must go through it because the monitor light still goes.

Hi, littlekid. I'm pleased you can post here at Bleepingcomputer. That shows you can think BIG. :flowers:

Computers work on little voltages. Like 5.5V. Power at the wall comes in at big voltages. Like 110V. The power supply unit inside the computer "transforms" it downward so the computer can use it. I'm not sure how your mum changed it.

If you need anymore details..just ask

I'm asking...
What did she change?
(can you say what switch & where it is located exactly?)
Does the monitor plug into the wall?
(the light on the monitor tells you power is there, you are correct. My monitor power cord is separate from my PC power cord. Most, if not all, desktops are that way. The other cord, from the monitor-to-PC is not power, even though it is big. It carries the little "signals" that the computer sends it to make the image.)
Can you tell us what kind of computer it is?
(they usually have tags on the bottom. All the numbers & letters from top to bottom. Same for the monitor, please. Then we can get a better picture of it, and check some more things out about it)

You will learn more about the problem by talking about it here... thats for sure. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 27 October 2004 - 02:56 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 littlekid

littlekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Nevermind. Its completely pood. I opened it up...its pretty messed up lots of black marks around the chippy things. Thanks for your help anyway. Might make a custom case out of it...

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

You are always welcome to any advice or information here, littlekid. I thought I'd say even if the PC is non-operational, the monitor is probably fine. It will work with another PC, and I hope you can get a good deal on one. We all have learned the hard way once or twice. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:14 PM

Thats right your always welcome here! If you have a prob me or someone else will answer it!
So dont be shy tell your friends and come on back over some time!
Just to chat,have fun or for a pc question it dont matter!
(Sorry I sound like a salesman !)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users