Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run any applications or open any files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gtrower

gtrower

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Every time I try to open any apps or files I get a popup that says The File Type Assistant file name: xxx.xxx Ether you do not have a program installed that can open your file, or you are may be looking for a new one.

I am running Windows XP and I have Symantec Antivirus Corp. I do not know if there were any messages about a virus or anything being found, the user says no, but I don't know. The AV is not only deactivated, it is not even running at all, and I cannot open anything to get a scan running. I booted into Safe Mode but get the same results. I cannot open the registry editor, or a command prompt. All exe files will not launch and all shortcuts show up ae .lnk files. I can open the Control Panel but cannot open any of them.

Need help urgently and don't know where else to turn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sathey

sathey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm go here and download .exe zip file. this will put the .exe back in the registry.

#3 gtrower

gtrower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thank you. What about the .xls and .docx files? Or do you know of one fix that will do them all at one time?

#4 sathey

sathey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

I would advise you to run a malwarebytes scan just in case. Also for the .docx with the window pops open tell windows to always use microsoft word and for .xls tell it to use microsoft excel for those extentions.

#5 gtrower

gtrower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

I will do that as soon as I am able to run exe files. Thanks for your help.

#6 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

It sounds like you've picked something up that's broken your file associations and disabled your security protection, which is probably the more worrying thing. Can you run any scans in safe mode? Does another user account on the computer work?

Try running fix.exe and see if that helps to restore the broken associations, then download, update and run a full scan with malwarebytes if you can, in safe mode.

Are there any other symptoms, like pop ups? Were you having any problems before this happened?
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users