Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped workin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

I just got a new Dell XPS and been using it for only a day when this came up

Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Just wanted to ask if this is a serious problem and if I can fix it easily. Thanks

And this thing came along with it.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: rundll32.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc9e0
Fault Module Name: DBACSU.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.3.3
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce105e5
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000002208
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 1a97
Additional Information 2: 1a97dd67badbad63de2084402fc1e018
Additional Information 3: 8b4d
Additional Information 4: 8b4d2fe39cc695b3ee54b1914c31eafc

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2011 - 12:24 PM.
Removed unnecessary spacing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

That error relates to your sound card. What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

"Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" error is often related to some kind of infection.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 racingmustang

racingmustang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hello. I know you indicate you only had the laptop a short time.

I have a Dell XPS 17 L702X notebook and several of us Dell owners have encountered this exact DBACSU.DLL problem but only after performing a factory restore. We corrected it with an update from Creative Labs. Try running the menu option for Creative Software Autoupdate and install the offered critical updates. I'm confident it will fix your problem.

I would be very interested to know whether a factory restore might have caused your issue too.

Please see these links for more:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/572162-soundblaster-x-fi-hi-def-audio-software-enabled-what-necessary-3.html#post7442869

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/572162-soundblaster-x-fi-hi-def-audio-software-enabled-what-necessary-5.html#post7515303

The suggestion to check for malware is always a good idea, but I don't think that is causing your issue this time B)

racingmustang

#5 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Sorry for the late reply, my internet kinda died over the last few days and im using library wifi at the moment :P

Thanks for the reply guys, I have installed a few programs which may have contained malware somewhere along the lines but apart from that, there has been some issues with the sound Realtek HD Audio Manager which came installed on the computer. It's the sound control thign right next to my mute button, which is also very sensitive and it goes on and off randomly.

I havent actually done a factory restore yet, but a new problem occured where the laptop doesnt actually turn off. It seems whenever i put it on sleep/hibernate/shutdown it just restarts itself :S.

I am going to save up my files and see if factory restore will affect it. But i think there are options where you restore with your files or just the factory image. Which one are you looking at racingmustang? I'm also thinking of running ghost but not sure how that affects windows 7. only done it on XP before and vista is just messed up completely :\

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

Seems to depend on what version of Ghost one is referencing.

Google On Ghost & Win 7

Louis

#7 racingmustang

racingmustang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

I am going to save up my files and see if factory restore will affect it. But i think there are options where you restore with your files or just the factory image. Which one are you looking at racingmustang? I'm also thinking of running ghost but not sure how that affects windows 7. only done it on XP before and vista is just messed up completely :\

Hi! I ran the Dell DataSafe recovery by pressing F8 during Windows 7 startup. Then I selected a menu option "Repair Your Computer". Although the DataSafe recovery defaults to saving and restoring your "new" files, I recommend you manually back them up to a flash drive or CDRW prior to the restore. During the recovery selection, you can choose a custom/advanced restore and specify NOT to save/restore your "new" files. In theory this will return the computer to the factory condition as Dell shipped. You will probably need to do the Creative Autoupdate software if you continue to encounter the DBASCU crash right after booting from the recovery.

As for Norton Ghost (or Symantec Ghost), you would need Ghost 15 to use with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Not necessary for a factory recovery if you save your files manually or opt to let Dell DataSafe do it. Once you have Windows 7 running smoothly, Microsoft has a great image utility built-in! Just look in Control Panel for Backup your Computer. Once there, you will see an option to create a system image. I recommend you use a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 hard disk for this.

Let me know how it works out for you! B)

racingmustang

#8 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Yeah so that;s done, and i think it may have fixed some problems with the sound card, which is now lagging sometimes when a sound is played, eg. games/youtube/music/ even the windows sounds :huh:... Although just before my system recovery, i noticed A LOT of my files and programs got delted O_o. Seriously, who in their right mind created a virus to specifically target and delete music and games? :nono:

O and the rundll32 thing is still popping up at start up, although Realtek HD audio is still not working

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2011 - 01:50 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

I strongly suggest, you follow advice from my post #3.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 TheGoobKid

TheGoobKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:55 AM

yeah thanks Broni, sorry the computer has been screwed up and the net hasnt been working for a long time. but i will do as you say. thanks

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Sugarcell

Sugarcell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

2014-01-18

In regard to "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" upon bootup, my Dell XPS (L702X) laptop experienced this issue after restoring the "Factory Image" using the Dell DataSafe feature.

The problem was resolved as suggested by Racingmustang . . . performing the Creative Software Autoupdate.  I "shotgunned" and selected all available Creative updates, a somewhat tedious and lengthy procedure.  It may have been necessary to choose only Critical updates but it was decided to install all that was available.

It is not known if the laptop hardware and operating system are contributing factors to the Rundll32 problem but here are brief details of the laptop:

Dell XPS (L702X)

16 MB RAM

two hard drives, 750 MB

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit operating system

It may be of interest to note  (1) The Dell DataSafe Factory Image restore had been performed at least one time previously with no issue noted and  (2) In addition to the Rundll32 problem, the Realtek HD Audio Manager would not open after the Factory Image restore but performed correctly after the Creative Software Autoupdate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users