Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lightangles

lightangles

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hello-

New to the site, a little slow on computer knowledge and ill face it, I AM COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT WITH A PC. So, with that said...

I deleted my Recovery Manager feature off of Windows 7, wondering if it possible to recover? I wanted to restore back to factory settings but it fails every time, pretty sure it is due to the recovery manager being missing. Tried the F11 option also, still no hope. After hours of searching I now realize that it cannot just be added like a regular application but is there any possible way? I ordered the HP Recovery Disc hoping it holds an answer but I'm kinda in a time crunch. Any alternatives?

Even thought about upgrading Windows 7 but I'm guessing it wouldn't upgrade what isn't already there, correct?

Help is appreciated, and THANK YOU very, very much.

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2011 - 06:18 AM.
Merged dupe post from IH.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Are you stating that you removed Windows system restore from your computer or are you referring to a third party recovery manager program?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 lightangles

lightangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

The third party recovery manager program.

I don't know why that didn't click in my head that I had said Windows feature while I was writing the post. It would be from HP. I have a HP Pavilion dv7-4053cl.

Thanks for pointing that out.

#4 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:19 AM

Hello-

New to the site, a little slow on computer knowledge and ill face it, I AM COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT WITH A PC. So, with that said...

I deleted my Recovery Manager feature off of Windows 7, wondering if it possible to recover? I wanted to restore back to factory settings but it fails every time, pretty sure it is due to the recovery manager being missing. Tried the F11 option also, still no hope. After hours of searching I now realize that it cannot just be added like a regular application but is there any possible way? I ordered the HP Recovery Disc hoping it holds an answer but I'm kinda in a time crunch. Any alternatives?

Even thought about upgrading Windows 7 but I'm guessing it wouldn't upgrade what isn't already there, correct?

Help is appreciated, and THANK YOU very, very much.

Did you try to put in your Windows 7 installation DVD, boot it, and then try recovery options or system restore?

With regards,

Joshua

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Since you did not post the model number of your PC I will provide a link to HP's web site for Windows 7.

Below is a link to HP's web site for recovery manager software, please check it out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-75985-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I can not guarantee you will have 100% success, since I can not test drive this package myself, you will have to proceed at your own risk.

I am not sure if this is just an update where the original recovery manager has to be installed, but you can try it and let me know.

If all else fails, you will have to contact Hewlett Packard support and order the disks from them that are required to re-install the recovery manager software.

I wish I could provide better advice, however since I do not own any HP products to experiment on, I can only offer you suggestions not fool proof solutions.

Please let me know if the software above has restored the recovery manager back on your computer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 May 2011 - 01:31 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 SoMeAm

SoMeAm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hi Lightangles, 'My cat Oreo' was right on. You may need the disks from HP that are required to re-install the recovery manager software.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2011 - 12:35 PM.
Removed email request and assertion of HP rep.

#7 lightangles

lightangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys and kitty cat,

Sorry I was MIA for awhile. I came down with the flu.
In the meantime I received the Recovery disc from HP that I had ordered and have proceeded to set everything back to "new".
I was wondering one thing, is it possible for any viruses or bugs that may have been on my previous setup to stay or transfer over to this new setup?

AND THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, Mr. Bruce and SoMeAm for your responses.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

That likely-hood would be more possible if your disks installation had renamed the original Windows folder WINDOWS.OLD and created a new folder called WINDOWS.

I have noticed this on a few Hewlett Packard OEM systems where re-installing the operating system keeps the original windows folder and renames it. In cases like this it is rare, but not impossible for a virus to remain on the system.

If in doubt, I suggest if you check your main Windows partition and notice a folder called WINDOWS.OLD and you had a previous infection, I would delete that folder and not try to access anything saved in it.

If you feel you became re-infected again, I would suggest wiping that partition using a DOS based partitioning program such as Easeus or G Parted, (links provided below) You can make boot disks on a standard recordable CD or DVD disk and boot to that disk, you can delete or even wipe those partitions making everything on the hard drive erased and wiped clean.

You will still be able to restore your operating system as long as you do not delete the recovery partition on the hard drive, I do not know if your OS installation files are on the recovery disks or your hard drive, but if they are on the disks, then you have nothing to worry about.

Here is the links:

G-parted http://gparted.org/download.php

EASEUS http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users