Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Virtualization Need Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TrendyGuy

TrendyGuy

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hello all,

I have just started to do some reading on virtualization and I am interested in virtualizing around 20 PCs that will run Windows XP to thin clients. These would mostly be doing word processing, internet surfing, with a little youtube streaming here and there. I am trying to figure out what would be the best software to use in order to do this. I have been reading on Microsoft's and VMware's solutions but they are somewhat confusing.

Would anyone be able to explain what they feel would be the best and cheapest solution? or could show me some resources to get me on the right track? or maybe if there is another forum that would be more dedicated to something like this?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lugscar

Lugscar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hey TrendyGuy,

Iv'e used VMware in the past, and it is nice, howevr, for a free alternative which allows you to build both servers and clients, I've been using Virtualbox from Oracle. It's available for free from www.virtualbox.org.

At the present time, since I'm studying for many MS Certifications, I'm running a Windows 2008 VM and Windows XP client for learning purposes.

If you do use this, make sure you have a large HDD as the virtual disk space does take up alot of room. I'd duggest a 120GB drive at the minimum.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

The thing about that though is if you want something that will run a layer under the operating system, then virtual box isn't the thing for you. You'd have to go either VMware ESXi (which comes in a free version), or MS Hyper-V.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi TrendyGuy,

There are two Microsoft methods that you can take to achieve this. One is to just have a terminal server (not really virtualising but hey you get that :P) The other option is also within the Terminal Services Role. Basically what will happen is you create a Virtual Desktop for each User and from a thin client they login into their own Virtual Desktop.

The first option requires a lower grade of server hardware to run properly as opposed to the high grade hardware required by a Virtual Desktop, in the instance of a Virtual Desktop it is like running multiple virtual machines. Generally unless you're going to splash big cash i would suggest looking into just using a Terminal Server.

Another thing you might find interesting is Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) which enables you to easily administer VM's on many hosts from one simple console. This also has features like P2V (Physical to Virtual) Conversion and i have a vagure memory that you can create the aforementioned Virtual Desktops in here as well. Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager

Hope some of that helped, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

BT
-BrendanT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users