Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot get rid of malware on my computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kristin G.

Kristin G.

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yesterday, my computer was infected with some sort of malware. I believe it came in the form of an email attachment sent by an infected friend, except this email attachment did not require downloading of any kind. (There was an "attachment" icon next to the email, but once it was opened I saw that there was no visible attachment.) In the near-decade I have been using computers, I've been fortunate enough to never come across any sort of virus or malware - so when my computer started telling me that I was infected, and windows started opening from a program that called itself "Windows Security Center" (or something to that affect, I cannot remember the exact heading now), I didn't think twice about clicking around the program. It kept showing that I had different numbers of infected files, and was telling me I had a trojan, and there was a link at the bottom that prompted me to buy a subscription before I could run the scan. I'm pretty sure this was a part of the infection, in retrospect, but I really wouldn't know either way...maybe you can tell me

Instead, I ran Spybot - Search & Destroy which didn't fix or detect (if memory serves) the problem. I then downloaded Emsisoft Anti-Malware and ran a "deep scan" which took over 2 hours to finish. It captured somehere around 140 suspect files, all of which I either deleted or quarantined short 1 or 2. I was prompted to restart my computer, which I did, and ran another "deep scan". Found far fewer infected files, under 20 and mostly tracking cookies, which I deleted.

...but one file remained unmovable. Unfortunately, I have since restarted my computer and have yet to run the scan again since it takes so long and I'm not sure if I will have to again, anyways, during this process - but I believe it started "fraud.". Instead I ran a "quick scan", which only produced "Trace.TrackingCookie.serving-sys!A2". I also checked the log, which has around 15 instances of behavior "TOOLBAR.AOL.COM" in Mozilla Firefox.

When I try to restart my computer in "safe mode", after I press F8 and select "safe mode", a screen scrolling identical command lines appears for a few seconds (unforunately, I don't know how to capture the command, and it moves too quickly for me to copy) and then a blue screen appears that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." It prompts me to check for viruses [done], remove newly installed hard drives/hard drive controllers [none of which I am aware of], check that the hard drive "is properly configured and terminated" [I have no idea what this means], and to run CHKDSK /F to check hard drive for corruption. When I perform this last suggestion, this is what appears:

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

I chose "Yes" earlier today, and while I don't remember the exact response, I do remember that it didn't get me anywhere.

The last of the text on the blue screen I encounter when trying to start my computer in safe mode, it reads "Technical Information ***STOP:0x0000007B (0xF7C2A528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm certainy no genius either - one question of which I think the answer will definitely help me out: I see other users on this forum copying lines of command that are being requested of them, but I'm not sure how they capture the text.

I SINCERELY appreciate the help, I'm not at all sure what to do. In advance, thanks!

I forgot to add, my OS is Windows XP.

Edited by boopme, 16 May 2011 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kristin G.

Kristin G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

I am attempting to download dds, but after only 5 bars of progress...it shows the animation indicating it is downloading, but it doesn't seem to be progressing any further.

#3 Kristin G.

Kristin G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Update: the download timed out.

#4 Byuntae

Byuntae

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

I'd say if someone doesn't help you within the next day or two system restore your PC. that seems to always get me out of bad situations when i contract a virus or such. I know its not the best advice but like i said, if no one here can tell ya how to fix it it's the only advice i can give. =X

#5 Kristin G.

Kristin G.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'm not even sure how to go about that, and I cannot start my computer in safe mode - not sure if that matters. I'm hoping that someone here will help me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users