Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CPSmurf

CPSmurf

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 that I bought at the end of January when my Dell 9100's motherboard died. I took the hard drive from the old computer and installed it as second drive in the new machine. Today a message from Windows Defender appeared stating that I had a virus. The machine then rebooted and went to start-up repair, but was unable to repair itself. I tried a system restore and system image restore, but that was unsuccessful. I tried to boot from a repair disc and that was unsuccessful. I was able to boot XP on the other drive after I reactivated it. I ran Super-AntiSpyware on both drives and removed a Trojan. However, this didn't resolve the problem. After repeating the process several times, I was able to get a message to do a chkdsk on the Windows 7 drive, which I did, but I still can't boot. The Windows Defender folder on the 7 drive is inaccessible. The XP drive has no access to the internet. A few things that I have noticed. First, the time keeps moving forward. Second, the message "Windows is loading files" appears during each attempt at boot-up. Also, I am still prompted to do a chkdsk for the 7 drive when I boot up the XP drive. I'm assuming this is all Trojan related, but don't really know how to proceed.

Edited by boopme, 22 May 2011 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

More information:

In trying to get the Windows 7 boot problem fixed, the XP is unable to boot which I have disconnected.

I receive the following information when trying to boot the Win 7 drive

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature01: 6.7600.16385
Problem Signature02: 6.7600.16385
Problem Signature03: unknown
Problem Signature04: 2
Problem Signature05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature06: 1
Problem Signature07: MissingOSLoader
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hello this appears to be a Win7 issue,perhaps the result of malware but the malware is gone.
I need to ask if this is a Genuine copy of 7.

The event error indicates that the boot loader is missing, please use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista or Windows 7. Here>>>>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

I can Move this to 7 or you can start a new topic there.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

I've tried that thread with no luck.

Please move the topic. Thanks!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

MOVED to W7
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

Please close this topic. I decided to reformat the drive and reinstall.

Thanks!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action. thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users