Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Optical Desktop 1000 Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spawn2002

spawn2002

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hi all.Got this keyboard for Xmas,installed fine.On reboot,kept getting error about "Intellitype has encountered an error.Send error report & restart the software."Cannot restart the software without getting the exact same error.This is a usb keyboard.Is it possible that the keyboard is giving the problem or is it purely software?All keys work,excepting some of the special keys.Mail,pictures etc.
TIA,
Paul.:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

Bad drivers, go to microsoft.com and find their keyboard section. After you of course uninstall the current drivers.

#3 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thankyou very much Salo. :thumbsup: Will give it a try.

#4 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

Bad drivers do not seem to be the problem.:thumbsup: D/loaded latest drivers & still no good.Media hotkey works,web/home works,mute works.My doc's,pictures,music,mail & messenger keys don't.

#5 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

Still having nothing but trouble with this keyboard.:thumbsup: Below is the reply I gave to Salo,re his solution of bad drivers:
Bad drivers do not seem to be the problem.D/loaded latest drivers & still no good.Media hotkey works,web/home works,mute works.My doc's,pictures,music,mail & messenger keys don't.
On top of all this I still get the Intellitype error message.
TIA for any more solutions,
Paul.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:19 AM

You don't need to start a new topic to get additional help on this problem.

What software came with this keyboard? Drivers would allow the keyboard to be recognised as a keyboard but often you have to load some supplied software to define the speed keys. Was there any provided?

Check in Device Manager:
Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?
If so look at the properties of the device indicated (by double clicking on it).

Tell us the name of the device and the message in 'Device Status' when you double-click it.

This assumes you have Windows XP?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:42 AM

Sorry for that Rimmer.:thumbsup: IntelliType 5.2 is the supplied software.No devices have question marks etc.The keyboard & mouse are correctly recognised for what they are.The keyboard comes up in device manager as:
Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard(Intellitype Pro)
Device status:This device is working fine.
TIA for any help.:flowers:

Edited by spawn2002, 05 January 2006 - 03:51 AM.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:00 AM

You have only the USB connector plugged in? (Not the purple PS/2).

Have you tried using the keyboard/mouse using the old PS/2 connectors? Apparently they supply a green convertor to fit on the USB plug - then that goes in your mouse port and the purple PS/2 plugs in your keyboard port. What happens if you do it that way?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

Only the USB connector is plugged in.MS don't supply the PS/2 adaptor with this model either.:thumbsup: Was using a Labtec Wireless prior to this without any trouble.Thinking maybe it's the s/ware that is bogus.Typical of MS I suppose.;)
BTW near Sydney??I'm from Newcastle way.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

I'm from Newcastle way.

Great to see another aussie on the site!

This keyboard is part of a wireless keyboard/mouse combo is it? That's what came up when I searched for "Microsoft Optical Desktop 1000".

I can only suggest a few things:

1. Download the drivers/software (again). Uninstall everything to do with the keyb & mouse and delete all entries in Device Manager for keyboards. Reboot and install it all again.

2. Try installing it on a different computer.

3. Check for updates for your motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website. Run Windows updates a well.

4. Take it back to the shop and get a replacement.

hth :thumbsup:

#11 spawn2002

spawn2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the help & the welcome.Decided to take the last option.
Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users