Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista update service pack has broke my laptop!!!?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lord6

lord6

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hello there,

I really hope someone can help me as microsoft support didnt bother replying to me!!

I'm writing this from a different laptop as mine will not boot/load anymore. As far as i'm aware all was good until I loaded the vista service pack update as I was prompted too, following that and shutting down, the mrs booted the laptop a day later was on it for about half hour with no problems, she shut down in the normal way (through 'start') but the screen immeadiately went blank and the laptop powered down. That was yesterday, today I tried to turn it on ....... nothing!

The laptop (sometimes) starts up normally - with the sony garb and tune coming up, then windows begins to load (flashing '-' in top left corner) then the Windows Error Recovery screen starts with 2 options;

1) Launch Start Up Repair (recommended)
When I select this the © Microsoft Corporation loading bar runs at the bottom, then screen goes blank

2) Start windows normally
When I select this the screen just goes blank (still on)

Either way no good!

OK..... If i try the F8 button as windows starts to load I get;

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Now, none of the safe modes load, the same as the 'Start Windows Normally' or start up repair.
'Enable boot logging' just runs the loading bar at the bottom for an eternity then dies.
The 'Last Known Good Configuration' does the same then runs through many numbered codes followed by file names in brackets, .dll or .exe as far as i can see, its pretty quick though. Then stops with what looks like an error code;

!! 0xc0000056 !! 3234/98320 (AuthFWGP.dll)

(although I have had a different error message too, but i didnt write it down, i'll add it if it comes up again.)

It freezes on this screen and does nothing.

When I try to restart more often than not I just get a blank screen, the laptop makes all the right noises but nothing.

I have had a green screen come up after chosing Launch 'Start Up Repair (recommended)', then a window appears;

Startup Repair
Your computer was unable to start
Startup Repair is checking your system for problems

It says "checking disk for errors. This might take over an hour to complete." The blue bar runs accros the box as if checking, but i've left this for hours (and hours) and nothing happens. If I click cancel, its says are you sure?, yes, then a new window 'Startup Repair could not detect a problem'. I can see the Diagnosis and repair details, for all the tests performed they report back 'Completed successfully' with the exception of;

File system test (chkdsk) -(I think this may be the other fault code that comes up with 'Last Known Good Configuration' I said earlier)

If I then click on 'Finish' it restarts .................. with nothing ....... as usual!!! aargh!

I can also view 'Advanced options ..........', Then system restore options were i select United Kingdom.
It gives me the option to sign in, I do, it opens a window to 'choose a recovery tool'. I really want to do a system restore but it just says its already running when I click on it.

Hang on a minute, I've just tried it again to make sure I was writing the correct stuff ....... and it looks like its working .........................

System Restore ................... Restoring files ..................

er ..... Finalizing File Restore ..... er for about 10 mins so far .......

Ok its been doing that for over an hour now so probably not working. I'll leave it over night now just in case though. There is an option for a Command Prompt though If anybody knows how to get to system restore from there (if I can ever get this window up again!). Ideally I need to restore to a previous saved point.

Woah i've really gone on here! Sorry but If anyone can help I wanted to give as much info as I know of.

I'll come back for an update tomorrow.

All and ANY help greatly apreciated!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Was the machine on battery or AC power during the update?

#3 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

hello, yes its been plugged in to AC all night, still sying 'finalizing file transfer', i dont think it is!!

given up on that and clicked on VAIO Recovery Tool in the 'Choose Recovery Tool' window. Looks like i'm gonna have to restore the hard disk to its factory state? Is this a good idea? I have no disks for Vista etc, is this gonna leave me with nothing?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

What was the other error message if you can recall?

Hold off on doing a system restore.

#5 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

whoops i did the system restore, hey it didnt work anyway it died mid way through!

I did it with an option to back up some files onto hard disk, dont think it did.

OK i'll try rebooting to get the other fault code up, cheers

#6 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

Right just failed again, flashing up;

!! 0xc0190002 !! 2475/98320 (wpdshextAutoplay.exe)

Havent had this one before though, I think I've made it worse!!!!

Cheers

#7 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

2474/98??? (fhpc.dll) comes up and stays for a while before the fault above comes on flashing (all the other codes fly through......)

Any ideas? Cant get the Startup Repair or System Restore windows to fire up now either ..... Aaaargh! so frustrating!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

I think it would be a good time to revert back to factory settings.

#9 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

I make you right! I'll have a tinker and see if anything else happens, if it does i'll let you know, otherwise its back to the drawing board.

Presuming I can get back to factory settings!!

Was this really all caused from a microsoft update? unbelievable!!

Cheers for your help

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

It can be caused by a lot of things like an overly protective anti-virus.

#11 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

ha ha - i use a microsoft anti virus!! you couldnt make it up!

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Weird as do I, so I am sure something happened along the line.

#13 lord6

lord6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

I thought i'd got a good system retore then i got:

unresolved transaction 0x80071AA7

Pah i give up, how do i revert to factory settings? I didnt get a vista disk as it was pre-installed, does this mean im screwed?

Cheers

Thanks again for all your help

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

What kind of computer is this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic