Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe files, Shortcuts and start menu programs not found in under single user

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flea2402

Flea2402

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

In the middle of a browser session, AVG came up and said it needed to quarantine a file (Not sure if that was the exact wording). I chose to quarantine because it said it can be dealt with later. It proceeded to "do things" and one that I remember as being funny was it edited the registry, but it happened so fast that I didn't catch all of the details. Once that was done, Firefox closed, the AVG icon on the bottom right of the screen went away and I can't open any .exe files or shortcuts. If I click on a program it asks which program I would like to open the file with. If I choose Firefox, Firefox does open and I can browse normally. I've tried looking for AVG everywhere under that user account but it's not there anymore. If I right click on my computer and choose properites it says "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe - application not found" *Now if I go to another user account, everything is normal, AVG is functioning perfectly with the icon in the bottom right next to the time. I ran an AVG whole computer scan under another user account and no threats were found.

Running Windows XP SP3

Thanks in advance for any help or a point in the right direction.

~Flea

Edited by Flea2402, 16 May 2011 - 03:05 PM.

~Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Possibly damaged profile? That would be my first guess.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151

Louis

#3 Flea2402

Flea2402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

That worked pretty well. Thanks for the link! The only thing it didn't transfer over were all the files from the old user account and the bookmarks from Firefox. I had to create the user account as an administrator so that I could easily transfer the files from the old account to the new account, then change the account to limited afterwards. Then re-visit all of the websites from the old Firefox browser and re-bookmark them. But none of it was very time consuming and everything works fine.

Thanks again!

~Mike

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

This is a cool addon for firefox that backs up you whole firefox configuration, including bookmarks. Works fine for me, and comes in handy.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

Glad you resolved it, nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users