Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Partition Sizes in Server 2008 R2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PenguinToo

PenguinToo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I need some help in extending partition sizes using GParted. The Windows utility will not work for what I need. I'm almost out of room in my C: partition (Windows and boot partition), then there is a 1 MB "gap" that is unallocated, then a new 20 Gig allocated partition that is blank (I created this from my D: (Data) partition). I need to extend my C: partition by the new 20 Gig partition, but I can't figure out how to do this. I think that the 1 Mb gap partition has something to do with that. I think that I somehow have to remove that gap by adding it to the 20 Gig new partition, then adding the 20 gig partition to my C: partition (which is also my boot loader partition). Have any of you ever done this? And if so, how? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I am hoping to do this tomorrow morning EARLY before my users get here so that I will have a fresh BACKUP on hand. :thumbup2:

Edited by PenguinToo, 16 May 2011 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Click on the Free Download button

This is EASEUS and I have found it to be one of the Best and Easiest partition managers
there is to use and it is Free to download

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

It appears to me that first deleting the 20GB partition, making it unallocated, then growing the C:\ partition into whatever your unallocated space would then be, as long as it is adjacent, should work. But I'm not a Server 2008 expert, just somewhat of a linux geek.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

my c drive is running out of space and i saw people are recommending easus partition manager, decided to give it a shot.
i downloaded, and installed.
i have to say this software offers a nice interface, and easy to use. i just dragged the c drive backward, and the free space of d drive is given to c drive.
Here's a tutorial about how to extend partition on server 2008 with easus partition manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users