Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No permission to see .swf file

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sassy98

sassy98

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi, please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong thread.

I took an online prep course which allowed me access to a bunch of tests. I printed a few tests, but I saved the rest to my laptop so that I could print them at a later date. The files are saved as .SWF files and I can't open them!! I downloaded flash player and tried opening it through Internet Explorer, but this message shows up "You have no permission to see this document" in the window.

I would be SO grateful if someone can tell me how to open my files, is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Install Adobe Flash Player
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 sassy98

sassy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Install Adobe Flash Player

Yeah this is what I've already downloaded, it still doesn't work.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

I wonder if the course you took will let you open and print them while online but wont let you save them for later viewing. Since they require Flash that might be a possibility.

#5 sassy98

sassy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Wish I had known that before spending thousands on the course.

So is it like password protected or something? Should I try it from a different computer or do I have to call the company?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

I was just speculating.

Its also possible that you are not telling the system what program to use to open the file.
When you right click on the file & select open with are you telling the system to open it with Adoble flash?
You may have to browse to the flash executable. It should be under program files - adobe.

I am going home for the night & wont be in tomorrow.
Others will be more than happy to assist tonight & tomorrow.

#7 sassy98

sassy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Okay tried to open with Adobe Reader. This is what is said:

Adobe Reader could not open "Dec 2006 LRII.pdf.swf" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded"

And I can't specifically find 'Adobe Flash Player' under program files.

Edited by sassy98, 16 May 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

Sassy, there is problem with the file name you are showing...
"Dec 2006 LRII.pdf.swf" It looks as if it first shows .pdf with the .swf added at the end. I don't think that will work. I'm not even real sure how to guide you until one of the gurus come along but I'll give it a shot.

Right click on the file name, select Rename and drop the ".swf" so that it is just a .pdf file? If that works, then you can open it in Adobe Reader.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 sassy98

sassy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, I tried that but it doesn't work because the file type is SWF File. The name actually just says "LGset1.pdf" ...when I try to open it, it adds the .swf to the end.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Test your installation of Shockwave Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ It may not be working properly. If the test fails try a reinstall.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 sassy98

sassy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

omg, I'm so happy right now, it works!! :thumbsup:

I guess Animal's suggestion wins because I noticed I didn't finish installing some of the plugins, which were in my download folder. Anyway, it still doesn't work with Adobe.

What worked was that I finished installing Swiff player. Now I can see the document, if I open it through Swiff player.

I know nothing about computers but this just saved me like a thousand dollars, so thanks everyone who tried to help!!!! :D

ps: the funny thing is, it still says I have no permission to see the document, but I can see it :) lol

Edited by sassy98, 17 May 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Glad to hear that you got this to work.
Thanks Animal for the assisstance!

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Glad I was able to help. Thanks for letting us know you were successful. Happy Computing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users