Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSSE cannot update due to a network issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

for the last several day MSSE has been unable to update either through the MSSE interface or through Microsoft updates.

I sent an email to MSSE support and they responded with and email with some directions that didn't work. ( i didnt past the instructions just the headings)
To tackle any corruption of Windows Update Components
To tackle incorrect System Date and Time
Set Internet Explorer as Default Browser:
Please follow the below steps to reset the Proxy Settings
tackle Network Connectivity problem

There was a phone number that i called and they were able to walk me through an manual download( which i had already tried and it failed) this time it worked.
Problem remains though...

MSSE will not auto update and gives the following error:
Virus and definitions status - Connection failed.
Security Essentials could not complete the virus and spyware definitions for 5/15/2011, 5:12 PM due to and internet or network connectivity issue.

If i try it through windows update it fails and get the following:
The following updates were not installed:
Definition update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB 2310138 ( definition 1.103.1771.0)

In update history it show the failure, when i click on the red dot indicating the failure i get a window that says:
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x8007051A
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)
( which i did, and was able to update manually, still hasnt resolved the update issue in MSSE)

this is on a friends XP Home machine with SP3.

Any thoughts on what may be happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Sure...inability to obtain security updates and/or reach the Microsoft website...are often indicators of malware activity. But...if you reached the Windows Update Site, I need a new suspect :).

I would uninstall MSSE and then install Avira Free .

If you can install/update/run it...my guess would have to be file damage in MSSE.

Louis

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

i was able to uninstall MSSE , install Avira and it is working fine. So is any other product that needs to update over the internet.
That said, ive uninstalled( with revo uninstaller) MSSE several times, restarted the system and reinstalled MSSE, same result.

MSSE is uninstalled and Avira is running for now, but i am curious wht MSSE updates are the only ones failing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

I can't answer that...but there is no malware which targets a particular program that i know of...and since a different AV program works, I stick with the rationale I used in my first post.

Maybe someone else can answer your question, I can't...I just try to be logical :).

Louis

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, avira is running fine in the mean time hopefully someone else has some input on the MSSE issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users