Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open or Download Any .exe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Natausha

Natausha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hey, this is my parents laptop running Windows Vista Home Permium Service Pack 2. I was going to attach some screen shots but I can't even open Paint!

When I try to open any program it gives me an "Open With" pop up box and tells me to choose the program you want to use to open this file and it reccomends AOL and Internet Explorer.

In any instance that I choose a program from the list I get an error, for instance if I choose AOL I get an error that says that the file isn't recognizable and AOL will now try to open it as a text file. Even when the program I am trying to use is AOL. I was able to actually log in to AOL despite the error message but that seems to be the only program that has worked. All the rest will give me the error saying AOL is now going to try to open the program as a text file, and then it opens the main login screen for AOL and then nothing. When I tried to open paint I got an error message that the file I was trying to open wasn't supported and paint wouln't open at all.

I was trying to use skype and it wouldn't open so I tried to re-download it and got the same thing as above. A boxed opened telling me to choose a program to use to open the file with and then no matter what program I choose it tells me that it can't open the file and that it is not supported by that program.

I'm not sure what else to do, I can't even take a screen print of the errors because I can't open paint! I haven't run SuperSpyware yet because I can't open it but I did run it a couple of weeks ago and it cleaned off quite a few things (in the mid 20's if I remember right)

There was a google redirect virus on the laptop and I was getting on to take another crack at removing it but got this mess instead. I have no idea what they have done to this computer. Oh yea I can't even open up the back up and restore center to try to go back to a restore point.

Without being able to download even skype I don't know if I am going to be able to get logs for this computer either. Any help?

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2011 - 04:10 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users