Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzer1

Fozzer1

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

I am not sure whether I am in the right place, but here goes.

Until recently, I have had a very old IE version. I had never bothered to update, as everything seemed to be working ok.

However, I had heard that there is poor security with very old versions, so I updated to IE7.

Follwing this, my Internet connection seems to be much slower.

For example, when clicking on one of my Favourites previously, it would connect in the blink of an eye.

Now however, it starts searching for IE, then seems to take an age to actually connect to the site in question. ??

I have done a Defrag, Disk check, plus malware sweep in Safe Mode. It is still slow as described.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi :).

Are you saying that your previous connectability was never slow?

What version of IE was previously installed?

Have you tried a different browser...to eliminate/confirm the possibility of networking problems, not browser problems?

Personally, I would suggest updating to IE 8, rather than 7. If you are concerned with system security...IE 8 is the version to have installed.

IE 8 Download

Louis

#3 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Previously, my initial connection was very fast.

I think that I was on IE6.

I have upgraded to IE8, but it is still the same.

I have tried Firefox, but it performs about the same.

To clarify, my connection once I am on the Net is quite good. It is the initial connection that is so slow to connect, whether it is from my Favourites or via Internet Explorer.

Maybe I am being pinickerty, but prior to updating, my initial connection was very fast ??

Thanks for your interest.

Fozzer

#4 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

What is the setting for your Temporary internet files in IE? meaning, tools> internet options> etc...

#5 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Not too sure what you mean regarding IE settings in Internet options.

My setting for Internet is Medium. Am I pointing in the right directin ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users