Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gessuit

Gessuit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

hello,

I am not sure if I am posting this correctly, but I am having issues with a virus redirecting my browser from google search results to urls such as
http://www.scour.com/search/web/Check/a53/and2-2714/v3
and
http://www.superpages.com/bp/US/ACE-Cash-Express-L2157152117.htm?SRC=admktplc-iyp1&lbp=1&PGID=yp239.8081.1305566051327.20124097675&bidType=CLIK&TR=1&bidId=1092356000&campaignId=11198214

by way of "quick search results"

McAfee found nothing, I saw the recommendation to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on another bleeping computer conversation so I ran it. It found and removed several viruses but the redirect issues remain.

Below is the log of that run.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6557

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

5/11/2011 2:47:09 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-11 (14-47-09).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 171585
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 8
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{66D8FBA6-D90F-40A9-AC55-84896F79CA69} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{66D8FBA6-D90F-40A9-AC55-84896F79CA69} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{66D8FBA6-D90F-40A9-AC55-84896F79CA69} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{66D8FBA6-D90F-40A9-AC55-84896F79CA69} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bho_project.bho_object.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\GAGEZ8R8ZB (Trojan.FakeAlert.SA) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\W5E7SH31DG (Trojan.FakeAlert.SA) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\ (Hijack.Zones) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\W5E7SH31DG (Trojan.FakeAlert.SA) -> Value: W5E7SH31DG -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Thank you for taking a look into with me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello and welcome,i moved this from Win7 to Am I Infected.

Let's do this and see how you are.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.5.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these[/color] instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, [color="#8B0000"]Post new scan log
and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Gessuit

Gessuit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi, Boopme, and thanks for the expertise.

Ive followed your instructions with both applications and both have come back with nothing detected.
The redirects are still occurring at this time.

Here is the MBaM log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6592

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

5/16/2011 1:23:26 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-16 (13-23-26).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 173755
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

You're welcome. Are you connected to a router and of there re other machines on it are they redirecting?

Your router is hijacked by trojan DNS-hijacker.

First if there are other machines on this router they need to install and update MBAM,DO NOT run yet. You now need to disconnect from the internet. Then scan each PC then reset the router.

Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you don?t know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE.
Note: After resetting your router, it is important to set a non-default password, and if possible, username, on the router. This will assist in eliminating the possibility of the router being hijacked again.

If there are other infected machines using the same router, they will need to be cleared with the above steps before resetting the router. Otherwise, the malware will simply go back and change the router's DNS settings. You also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset. Check out this site HERE for video tutorials on how to properly configure your router's encryption and security settings. You may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Once you have ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the infected system, and reset the router to its default configuration you can reconnect to the internet, and router.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Gessuit

Gessuit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

The other computers using the Time Warner Uverse router are not redirecting. I will attempt your advice after reading the suggested links.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps you can catch it by doing this on only yours.

Change DNS to stop redirects

Change your DNS Servers:
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and in the open box, type: cmd
  • Press OK or Hit Enter.
  • At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will get a confirmation that the flush was successful.
  • Close the command box.
If the above commands did not resolve the problem, the next thing to try is to reset your network settings and Configure TCP/IP to use DNS.
  • Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
  • Right-click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
  • Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and select Properties.
  • Under the General tab, write down any settings in case you should need to change them back.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" or make sure the DNS server IP address is the same as provided by your ISP.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • If unknown Preferred or Alternate DNS servers are listed, uncheck the box that says "Use the following DNS server address".
  • Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer. If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.
-- Vista users can refer to How to Change TCP/IP settings

CAUTION: It's possible that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) requires specific DNS settings here. Make sure you know if you need these settings or not BEFORE you make any changes or you may lose your Internet connection. If you're sure you do not need a specific DNS address,
then you may proceed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users