Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am Looking for a new real time AV program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 john1429

john1429

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi there,

New user here. I've used this site a few times for infestations and found it very helpful.

Anyone have an opinion about Avira? I switched to it from AVG which was slowing down my aging computer. Was recently hit with the "XP Home Security 2011" popup. AVIRA let it right in & found nothing wrong with a scan. Hence, I am looking for a new real time AV program

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

Hi there,

New user here. I've used this site a few times for infestations and found it very helpful.

Anyone have an opinion about Avira? I switched to it from AVG which was slowing down my aging computer. Was recently hit with the "XP Home Security 2011" popup. AVIRA let it right in & found nothing wrong with a scan. Hence, I am looking for a new real time AV program

You really should start your own thread. You'll get better attention and it's generally considered rude to "hijack" someone else's thread (I know you are new to this - I'm not scolding, just advising :) ).
To answer your question, my opinion is different from many others. A lot of knowledgeable people are fine with Avira, Avast, and a couple of other free anti virus apps. And truth be told, for many folks they are just fine. But protecting my system is simply too important and I will only use what I consider to be the absolute best software and that's Kaspersky (again, in my opinion).

#3 john1429

john1429
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hi there,

You really should start your own thread. You'll get better attention and it's generally considered rude to "hijack" someone else's thread (I know you are new to this - I'm not scolding, just advising :) ).
To answer your question, my opinion is different from many others. A lot of knowledgeable people are fine with Avira, Avast, and a couple of other free anti virus apps. And truth be told, for many folks they are just fine. But protecting my system is simply too important and I will only use what I consider to be the absolute best software and that's Kaspersky (again, in my opinion).

Seeing as so much is done over the internet these days (online banking, tax information, personal information etc.) paying for an AV program might just be a wise idea. I see there is a thread about the "best" AV programs. I read there that people like the paid version of Malwarebytes (and SAS). I am also running an outdated OS (XP, SP2) due to the age of the computer, so this may be critcal. Then again, I've been computing for over 20 years and never had a real problem. (My first PC was an IBM AT clone, I think it had 256kB of RAM).

Edited by john1429, 16 May 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Malwaregbytes and SAS are not anti-virus programs.

If you are considering a paid program, the best thing to do is

1) research to find out what is available

2) make your choice then go the manufacturer's website. See if it has a free trial. If so, install and use it.

Doing this will allow you to evaluate the program and you will find out if it plays nice with your system.

3) If you like it and want to purchase, wait until the trial is nearly over. If you provided an email address in order to get the trial, you might get an email offering a purchase discount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users