Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I view my movie clips?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pearguy

Pearguy

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hi All, greetings from your worst nightmare.
I'm a middle aged beginner using my very first, recently acquired, hand-me-down computer. I don't even know what brand of computer or version of windows I'm using, nor how to find out. The sheer depth of my ignorance in all matters digital cannot be overstated, so anyone kind or brave enough to try to help me should perhaps bear that in mind, as you may find it a frustrating experience. But, if you like a challenge, here is my problem...
I recently bought my first digital camera, a Panasonic Lumix TZ9. I can "upload(?)" recorded images/movies into my computer from the camera without difficulty, even though the optional ways to do this are confusing. Should I choose to View Files In PhotoFun? Windows Media? Neither is intuitive or user friendly, but either way I am able to view the results in My Pictures no problem, although movies will only play properly in VLC Media Player. Windows Media player gives only sound without visual, and PhotoFun, the supplied Panasonic software, is unwatchably jerky. This seems ridiculous, and I would have assumed that I or my computer were at fault were it not for the fact that this is apparently a common problem. I can also (eventually!) manage to "burn" these images to a CD, but when I play the CD back, although the still images seem fine, the movie clips won't play at all, not even in VLC. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need some sort of "Add-On"?
This is my first question in what looks like being a long, painful learning curve. Sincere thanks in advance to anyone who can help me along the way.

Edited by Pearguy, 16 May 2011 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi, don't be daunted by the unfamiliar...repetition will take care of that :).

I would suggest a couple of things:

a. Download/install the K-lite Codec Pack Full, version 7.1.0

b. Reboot the system.

c. Then try one of the movies from your camera.

Reference for the file format used by the camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_JPEG . From that page:

"This video is typically stored in the popular Windows AVI or Apple QuickTime MOV container files, generally viewable natively (or after installation of a simple codec) in most versions of the applicable operating system."

My instruction at a. takes care of the codec.

I feel about my camera (Olympus Fe-5010) the way that you seem to feel about your computer, so I sympathize :). But these things can be overcome with a little research and assistance from others.

Let us know if that resolves the viewing issue.

Louis

#3 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for responding. I should start by saying that I already have Quicktime, it came with the camera software CD, but it's this that makes the vid clips so jerky. Played through VLC media they're fine, but VLC won't let me record. And VLC will only play the clips when they're still in "My Pictures"; once burned to CD via the built in Microsoft system VLC won't recognize them at all. Would the download you recommend cure these issues, or would it provide an entirely new, self contained media management arena, via which I can upload, burn, view, edit etc? I did start the installment but I'm afraid I got cold feet near the end. After the 15 min download process it offered dozens of tick-box options, some pre-ticked, others not. None of the Audio options was ticked and since I don't know what I'm doing I was nervous about choosing any. Surely I'd need audio play as well as visual? Also couldn't understand why so many boxes un-ticked; does the process somehow know that maybe my system is already capable of these options? Or that it couldn't cope with them? Or that they're irrelevant to my needs? Doesn't "Full Pack" imply that all bases will be covered? I would still have just gone ahead but for the fact that what really worries me is that I'll just add to my already insufferable confusion with yet another type of media management system. I already have Windows Media Player (came with computer), PhotoFun (came with camera), and VLC media player (again came with computer). I've no clue as to how they interact with each other, or if they're meant to, or how to get them either alone or in conjunction to do what I need, which is simply to make a compilation CD of daughter movie clips to send to Grandma, and be sure that she'll be able to play them on whatever system SHE uses. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL analogue technology, how I do miss it.. Sorry for the long post, and I certainly don't mean to imply lack of trust in your advice. But, simply put: What are the advantages of installing this "Codec" pack, and is there any danger that it will confuse me further, or somehow interfere with the other programs? Thanks again, and friendly regards.

Simon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users