Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 shuts down every time it is launched

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ply Mtg Jim

Ply Mtg Jim

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

XP Professinal SP 3

Dell Vostro 1510 anpprox 2 years old

Every time IE8 is launched the messge "To help protect your computer Windows has closed this program: Internet Explorer" There is also a reference to Data Execution Prevention.

This started after downloading a program on line.

I have tried to remove and reinstall IE8
I have good internet access thorugh AOL as well as many programs that go to tje interbet (i.e. Quicken, Turbo Tax)
I have tried turning off the DEP option but makes no difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

What program did you download and from where?

#3 Ply Mtg Jim

Ply Mtg Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Unfortunately I cannot recall the program name - it was via the internet and I believe related to computer performance.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

I'm sure the program is still on your system. Take a moment and look and then please let us know the name of the program and from where you downloaded it. The quality of help we provide is in direct proportion to the quality of information you provide.

#5 Ply Mtg Jim

Ply Mtg Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

I went to program files and tried to isolate by the date when I started having the problem. A program called FixCleaner has a folder there. It is not listed when I look at Control Panel add/remove programs.

The reminder of the folders in the program files seem to be legit.

How can I copy the name of these folders to paste into a reply?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Okay, I just looked up details on that program and I'm assuming you did more than just download it. I'm guessing you also ran it. Programs that claim to speed up your computer or browser, optimize the system, and fix registry errors generally CAUSE problems, they don't cure them. You should NEVER use programs like this. If I were you I'd use system restore to revert to a date prior to the problems appearing - and then uninstall that program.

#7 Ply Mtg Jim

Ply Mtg Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

The oldest restore date is 2/15/2011. I tried system restore to that date and received a message (after it rebooted) that the restore was incomplete. I then tried 2/18/2011 restore point with the same results. The FixCleaner folder in the progam files has a 1/15/2011 date.

Is there a way to get an earlier restore date? Should I try another date?

Thanks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

See if there is an UNDO feature in FixCleaner.

If still no luck, you can try a repair install: Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option. Done properly, all apps and preferences will remain intact. You'll have to go to Windows Update and re-download / install all updates after the installation is complete. Here's a detailed walk-through: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#9 Ply Mtg Jim

Ply Mtg Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Thank you for all your support Allan but it still won't launch. I did the boot from the XP CD and tried the repair option. It did reinstall windows and especially IE 8. Everything else is back to normal but IE doesn't even try to start when I click directly on the application file in the Inetrnaet Explorer folder of the Program Files. Still can get to the internet mainly through AOL.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

Try an alternate browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc) and see if that works. Also, see if you can uninstall IE8 and revert to IE7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users