Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus stoppinng everything

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yayaa

yayaa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Not able to download Malaware (gets stopped at setup) also pc repair tool set up from bleepingcomputer.com is unable to load at setup.download just freezes.

When I turn my computer on what looks like an xp scan of my computer pops up running I think a fake scan then says I have these problems and need to purchase. ALL my icons disappeared and background color on my screen where icons were is now black as opposed to blue. The only way I was able to get on internet was at bottom right in the start tool bar I still have access to Iobit security scan and advanced system care free scans and both have a link to send problems which then allow me on internet for about 15 minutes. I keep getting pop ups telling me my Ram is critical and eventually the computer reboots and the process starts all over again. Only way to shut down computer is to hold on off button in.

Was able to contact help desk at malawarebytes and he sent me 3 RKILL downloads which I downloaded and that stops those pop ups telling me my ram is critical, my HD has no space etc...however I am unable to download malaware or your sofware to my computer to run scans to finf this thing, they always stop and freeze at set up.

When I hit start button and scroll over all programs it says empty,all bookmarks seem to be gone and if I shut computer down those rkill programs on my desktop upon startup disappear and that window running an xp scan begins all over again. Any help would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Can you reboot in "safe mode with networking? If so, try downloading from that mode.

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or preferably a blank CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected". Some flash drives have a switch on the side or on the back as shown here which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.

Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If MBAM will not install and renaming or changing the file extension did not help, then you can try installing and performing a Quick Scan in "safe mode".

Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it and perform another Quick Scan.

When I hit start button and scroll over all programs it says empty,all bookmarks seem to be gone

The symptoms you describe can be indicative of a side effect from the HDD Defrag family of rogue security programs which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks some of their files have been deleted. Newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue delete Quick Launch and Start Menu items/folders.

See this example guide which includes removal instructions and using unhide.exe (Step 17), a tool which will remove the "hidden" attribute on all files and restore Quick Launch and Start Menu to their proper location. The tool is designed not to remove hidden attribute for system files. When done you will need to restore the hidden attributes to those files manually.

Edited by quietman7, 16 May 2011 - 12:56 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users