Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E5700 CPU on a P35A-S Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisDC

ChrisDC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi everyone,

Has anyone out there successfully used an E5700 Intel CPU on a Foxconn P35A-S?

This board has been sealed in it's box for the last couple of years and has never been used.

I bought the CPU yesterday. It's not listed on Foxconn's CPU compatibility list although the E5300 & E6300 are.

I can't get past the first AMI intro screen or into the BIOS. The RAM is definitely ok, i've tried it on an identical board.

Can anyone help? Thanks very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Just rechecked what caperjac posted below, he is correct, I was basing my answer in a different processor.

So I removed what was originally posted here.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 May 2011 - 09:52 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

according to this list from the link in post above ,it doesn't,
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&model=P35A-S&cputype

Edited by caperjac, 17 May 2011 - 07:16 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 ChrisDC

ChrisDC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hello and thank you to everyone that took the time to read and reply to my post.

There have been some developments since my original post. My original bios 6b3f1p22 has been updated to 6b3f1p43 and now the e5700 processor works on this board. Strangely, i saw no sign of this bios version on the Foxconn site (in the last few days) - it seems to end at p40, however when my other board (i bought 2 identical boards) was pressed into service in March this year, the built in update utility found and installed the p43 version. I still had the file on my drive and using an older p4 630 processor, got the second board to run, did the update and presto, the new processor now works. I also tried an E3400, it did not work before update but works fine now. Incredibly, no one i spoke to seemed to think the update would make any difference. The suppliers of the mb said it was definitely a dud board and the general consensus amongst the other experts was "throw it away". Needless to say, I'm a happy chappy!

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Glad everything worked out well for you.

I had originally said yes and posted two links one to your motherboard's support page and one to Intel's processor support page and I said you should be able to.

Then when I seen the information on the web page posted by caperjac, I had second thoughts about my answer and decided that perhaps I was wrong and was possibly basing my answer on incorrect information.

I felt it is better to be safe than sorry and removed my answer.

My decision was to change my mind than to have you possibly fry your processor or motherboard based on an answer I gave you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

good job ,nice to see you got it working .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 ChrisDC

ChrisDC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Bruce, you're right, better to be safe. I did not see your posts before you removed them too busy trying to get that board to work! It's great that you wanted to help and no doubt you have helped many. As it turns out you were right! I'm sorry I didn't see what you wrote.

Caperjac, I also saw that cpu support list you provided the link for and had another look at it just now. Interestingly, it still shows the latest bios as a p40 version, no sign of the p43 I have and as I mentioned, my (outdated) Foxconn live update software found and successfully loaded p43 just 2 months ago! Just goes to show that latest official version is not necessarily the latest official version.

Thanks again to both of you. I have another mb / best processor question but i'll start a new thread if I can't find the topic already covered in this forum.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Okay it is not so hard to remember what I posted, so here goes, the part in bold was my original answer.

According to the information in the two links below my answer would be yes you should be able to.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000318

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42801

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users