Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost sound - Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slinger1937

slinger1937

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

Perhaps someone can help my friend.
She has a Dell Laptop with Vista Home Premium and the Sound has stopped working.
Up to ten days ago everything was fine, she had Skype working and her sound was working fine.
Skype suddenly went off the screen, but we now think that the latet version of that caused that problem when it was updating, we have read online that others have had the same experience, but that is another matter, we are going to try an earlier version later.

With her Sound problem.
There is a Red X on the task bar speaker.
In the Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game Controllers, the sound is enabled, we have uninstalled the card, reinstalled and then updated the drivers.
In the Services tab of System Configuration Utility, the The Windows Audio endpoint Builder is stopped , as is Windows Audio, they both have ticks in the left hand boxes.
We have tried a System restore, but the earliest date 10th May is after the problem occured.
We did a sfc /scannow which ran and then told us that it has found problems which it could not repair, we don't know if this could be part of the problem, but we don't know how to repair these errors anyway.

Can anyone advise her through me please?

Thank you.

Edited by slinger1937, 16 May 2011 - 03:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

i've never...seen a message re inability to repair...when using sfc /scannow.

Please post the message exactly as it appears and in entirety.

louis

#3 slinger1937

slinger1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

I should know better by now, sorry, I will tell my friend to run it again and then come back with the correct response!

#4 slinger1937

slinger1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

I am very sorry about the long delay, my friend was a bit nervous with the Command Prompt/

This is the message she got after sfc /scannow:-windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. details are included in the CBS.Log windir Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\wINDOWS\lOGS\cbs\cbs.LOG

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

Using "C:\windows\systerm32>findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt"

She got the result in the attached screenshot.

Thank you

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Well it says that the files will be replaced on the next boot. That's fine.

#6 slinger1937

slinger1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Sorry again, the screenshot was there before I previewed my post

Attached Files

#7 slinger1937

slinger1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

Allan, She also read that (The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot )and we hoped that it would resolve her problem, i.e. that she has no Sound at all, and we don't understand the contents of the screenshot.

#8 slinger1937

slinger1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

The reboot did not replace the missing files as it suagested it would. she still has no sound.
Does the above screenshot signify anything to anyone please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users