Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.mkv thumbnail memory leak?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Putrid

Putrid

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

About a month ago I acquired a large .mkv file. Cutting to the chase, I deduced that when, in explorer, I simply clicked on the folder containing this file, my available memory started to disappear about 10-20MB a second until it was depleted; at which point system performance came to a near halt. I also eventually found out that it was the process explorer.exe that held all of this available memory, EVEN THOUGH the task manager AND resource manager showed that explorer held a steady... 25MB. On my 4GB ram system, after just about a minute, all 2.5 gigs were gone and when the explorer.exe process was ended, all that mystery memory re-appeared.

Booting in Safe Mode, clicking on this folder did not produce the same result.

Over the next few weeks, I acquired more and more .mkv's. NOT ALL OF THEM create this problem, but about 40% of them do, with the exact same symptoms.

I tried disabling thumbnail previewing on individual files AND folder thumbnailing, and it STILL caused this super annoying issue.

I can not move these large .MKVs to another hard drive unless I am in safe mode. not acceptable.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield
4GB DDR3 i forget ram

Edited by Putrid, 16 May 2011 - 01:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:29 AM

Try opening the MKV files with Unlocker and see what's locking/using so much memory. It might be something else since disabling MKV thumbnails didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users