Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can you figure out compatibility for mother boards on laptops

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dogsbane

dogsbane

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

I have an inspiron 1545 laptop and I would like to put a new graphics card in it but I know that requires a new motherboard trouble is I don't know how to tell which mother board would be compatible with my processor and ram and once I figure that out how to tell which graphics card would be. I am getting this for gaming so I need a decent graphics card if someone could help I would be most appreciative . here are my current system stats

Time of this report: 5/1/2011, 21:04:29
Machine name: TARDIS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 1545
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A13
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3032MB RAM
Page File: 2002MB used, 4060MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Card name: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_02AA1028&REV_07
Display Memory: 1324 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1260 MB
Description: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 6.01.7600.16385 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Date and Size: 7/13/2009 20:07:00, 350208 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 dogsbane

dogsbane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

there's a text file with all the system information sorry I didn't know about that programAttached File  specs.txt   34.69KB   3 downloads

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

I dont want the text file I want a link via File then Publish Snap shot.

#5 dogsbane

dogsbane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

ok sorry I have never used this program before here you go http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QcHJ0fVuoWW0KBRFtTkOTzc

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

I'm puzzled about your plan, dogsbane. Are you hoping to find an alternative laptop mainboard that will fit that chassis, suit your CPU & RAM and have provision for a high performance laptop video card? If it were at all possible, I'd think the cost of doing that would greatly outweigh the changeover cost of selling the existing laptop and buying one with the performance you need. Especially if the Windows being used is the OEM one licensed to the existing motherboard.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

Laptops aren't like desktops where many things such as motherboards and power supplies are standardized and easily interchanged. Many laptop components are proprietary so that they cannot be interchanged. Your best bet would be to sell your current laptop and use the proceeds toward a newer laptop that has better graphics capabilities.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately your laptop is using integrated graphics, so you will need to get a new motherboard to get a dedicated non-integrated video card.

The motherboard can cost as much as 500 and a video card can cost as much as 400 so I think it would be better of just buying a whole new lap top designed for gaming.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

The optional motherboard for that Dell is an H314N, about $150-$200 on Ebay. You will have to verify whether it is an exact fit or not as some models come with "featured" and "defeatured" boards.

I cannot stress enough: Don't do this. The ATI graphics (ATI4330 I think) is low end even for laptops and won't play most modern games at reasonable framerates. Save up for a new system. By the time you finish upgrading the new motherboard, you still have a system that's not worth the money you just put into it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users