Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In XP, how do I archive/backup files (pics/videos) to blank DVD's?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I have thousands of (digital camera) pictures and .avi videos that are backed up to an external hard drive
but I'm afraid of losing them to a drive failure. I've had an external die on me before and this other one is getting
old too and there's no telling when and if it's going to fail but I want to make permanent disk backups before it's too late.

I can backup to blank cd's with ease but when I try to do the same with blank dvd's, nothing I try works.
And given the size difference between the two (700Mb's vs. 4.7Gb's), it would make more sense to use dvd's, if it's even possible.

Do I need a certain type of program to accomplish this goal? If so, what are some programs I can use?

I'm on an older eMachine T5048 with XP-MCE installed.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

What happens when you try to use dvd's? Please forgive a silly question, but are you certain your optical drive is capable of writing to dvd's?

#3 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

What happens when you try to use dvd's? Please forgive a silly question, but are you certain your optical drive is capable of writing to dvd's?

Hi Allan, thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a "16x dual-layer DVD±RW" drive. This is probably unrelated info but I've burned movies to dvd-r disks many times using the program that came with my Hauppauge Tv tuner card. I've just never been able to "copy" pics and videos to a blank dvd but always wanted to.

Here is a screenshot of when I try to copy some .avi video clips to a blank dvd but can't. How I do it is: In the folder with the files, I highlight them, right-click on a highlighted file to bring up the right-click menu, scroll down to "Send To" to bring up the other menu and then choose the optical drive that contains the blank dvd-r disk. Then it acts like it wants to start copying but the "Problem Copying" error window pops up. This technique works just fine if I'm copying to a cd. Just not to a dvd for some odd reason. I've also tried using dvd+r disks (thinking dvd-r disks are the wrong type to use) but have the same problem.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

I don't think XP has the native capability to make DVD data discs, and that you would need another program. I use Nero.
Honestly, hard drives are very cheap nowadays. I would just buy a USB external drive and copy the files over.
DVDrs can scratch and are not a great backup medium. I recently got a 500 gig drive for 50 bucks new, and I love it.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 16 May 2011 - 10:15 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

I don't think XP has the native capability to make DVD data discs, and that you would need another program. I use Nero.

Hi FrankOtheMountaiN, thanks for your reply. If XP can't do it, then do you think Windows 7 has the ability? My other desktop has W7 on it and I can always unplug the external from this XP puter and into the W7 puter if you think it'll work. I've heard of Nero but never used it before. Don't they have a free version available now? And can I make the data disks with it?

I did get me another external a few months ago and I copied the pics/videos to it which bought me some time but who's to say when that one is gonna fail too. Ever since that previous external drive failed me (Seagate replaced it), I never truly trusted any drive that has moving parts in it. If I could learn how to archive to dvd's, I'd store them in a "zipper-type w/sleeves" case and they would never get scratched (not even a fingerprint would get on them as careful as I am with my cd/dvd disks).

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

Failure of USB hard drive might have been caused by mis-use, not shutting the device (s) down properly but, just switching the USB or unplugging it. I have been using the same device for over 5 years now for disk imaging the entire hard drive. But, I do occasionally run diags on it just to check it out before B/U.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

Frank is correct - you need 3rd party software for DVD's with XP. Sorry - I missed the fact you are using XP. Here's one option: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

That's a cool program, small, and free! Thanks for the tip Al. That should do the trick Lee.
I still hate CDs and DVDs though...

Frank O' The Mountain

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Failure of USB hard drive might have been caused by mis-use, not shutting the device (s) down properly but, just switching the USB or unplugging it. I have been using the same device for over 5 years now for disk imaging the entire hard drive. But, I do occasionally run diags on it just to check it out before B/U.

I was surprised that the drive failed. It stayed plugged into my desktop all the time. It was just less than a year old, was a Seagate 250Gb with a 5 year warranty, I expected it to last at least 2 or 3 years. At least they replaced it with a 500Gb drive. About two months after buying the first one, I bought another identical one and now that one is starting to fail (it's showing the same symptoms the old one did before it died) so I gotta get Seagate to replace that one too. I think I'm gonna stay far away from Seagate drives from now on.

#10 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

Frank is correct - you need 3rd party software for DVD's with XP. Sorry - I missed the fact you are using XP. Here's one option: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

Thanks for the link Allan. I went there to d/l it but realized it had OpenCandy Adware bundled with it, so I clicked on 'More download options' which showed a link to get it without opencandy but the link didn't work so I googled "CDBurnerXP without opencandy" and found a page where I could d/l the adware-free version. Fwiw, if you or anybody is interested in obtaining the "clean" version, it can be found here. Just scroll down and click on "cdbxp_setup_4.3.8.2560_minimal.exe" to get it. Anyway, now that I have it, I'll give it a go and hopefully make good use of it. Just curious tho, is it a program just like ImgBurn? I have ImgBurn but I've only ever used it for burning .ISO files to cd's with. Do you by chance know if ImgBurn can burn data dvd's so I can archive my pics/videos?

Unfortunately tho, it's gonna hafta be put on the back burner for a day or two until I get my laptop back in order because the hard drive crashed on it, had to replace it, and reinstall xp on the new drive, and now I'm just trying to reinstall all the programs and get it setup like I had it before. :wacko: Which explains the delay in my responding to this issue I posted about. So please bear with me if I can't reply right away. Thanks again.

#11 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

That's a cool program, small, and free! Thanks for the tip Al. That should do the trick Lee.
I still hate CDs and DVDs though...

Thanks Frank. I'm definitely gonna try that program out. I saw no sense in copying everything to just 700Mb cd's since it would take too many of them so at least if I could use 4.7Gb dvd's instead, it wouldn't take as many.

With this CDBurnerXP program, when I use it to put my pics/videos onto a dvd, is it going to be a "one shot deal" and the disk is done? Or will I be able to copy more stuff onto the same disk at a later date? For example, with copying to a cd, I can keep copying to it in different intervals until it's full. If I can't copy anymore to a dvd when I "burn" to it with this program, then I'm guessing I need to make sure ahead of time that I can squeeze as much as I can onto it before burning to get the most out of the disks 4.7Gb storage ability. Did I get that right? I still can't "wrap my head around" the difference between cd's and dvd's except for the obvious difference in data capacity. Thanks again.

#12 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

Well, think of it like this:

The disks are just disks like a hard drive, and you can format them in different ways, or not. "DVD" is a format for DVD players, "CD" or "audio disk" is for CD players. Both of these can also be played back on a computer that has the right stuff installed.

A "data" disk is just like a hard drive, and a DVD disk has more space. (All the same round plastic disks here). DVDs can be +R or -R, and this is only important if the burner/recorder can only use one or the other.

Now to confuse things a little more, there are re-writable disks (CDRs or DVDRs) So you can have a DVD that is a "DVDR -R. These can be written to and read like a hard drive with some programs. I do not use these because the material they are made out of is more fragile than regular "one shot" disks, and I had a few go bad. I also like that a regular disk is burned permanently, so that I can't delete anything by accident. I would advise to fill 'em up and burn regular disks.

A disk with a K, means that it can be written to (all blanks, hard drives etc),
A disc with a C means that it can no longer be written to. (finalized).
(So a re-writabe one would always be a disK until finalized).

There are also dual layer DVDs that hold more space. See if your drive can handle burning them.

Thanks for the ad free link! The 500 gig USB Seagate that I use does not stay on all the time. I just plug it in when I need it, and carry it with me. I figure the less it spins, the longer it will last.
I have had pretty good luck with Seagate over the years.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 19 May 2011 - 06:45 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

Now to confuse things a little more, there are re-writable disks (CDRs or DVDRs) So you can have a DVD that is a "DVDR -R. These can be written to and read like a hard drive with some programs. I do not use these because the material they are made out of is more fragile than regular "one shot" disks, and I had a few go bad. I also like that a regular disk is burned permanently, so that I can't delete anything by accident. I would advise to fill 'em up and burn regular disks.

Wow Frank, I really appreciate the time you took to explain all this for me! Thank you so much. I have a better understanding of the differences now. I'd done some research recently to find out the differences between DVD-R and DVD+R and with all that I read, I gathered that +R were better for data and -R were better for video recording. So I went out and got a 100-pack of DVD+R disks and tried to copy my files to them but kept hitting brick walls. I'm gonna try out that CDBurnerXP program. I'll just fill 'em up and burn away. Will let ya know how it goes.

A disk with a K, means that it can be written to (all blanks, hard drives etc),
A disc with a C means that it can no longer be written to. (finalized).
(So a re-writabe one would always be a disK until finalized).

Ya know, I have seen it spelled both ways all over and I thought it was simply just an individual's spelling preference.I had no idea, thanks for that info! I think for me to remember, I'll think of K being oKay to write to, and C being a Completely full disc. And no problem on the adware-free link. I thought to share what I could to help out. And speaking of Adware, If by chance you use the Unlocker program, every version from 1.8.6 to the newest one has the OpenCandy crap bundled with it but if you want to get the last clean version (v1.8.5), it can be found here. Just click on the link "Download Unlocker 1.8.5 (191.06 KB)" to get it. Thanks again Frank. :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users