Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 x32 only recognizes 4Gigs of the 6Gigs installs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Siuan

Siuan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

I am running Windows 7 on a system I built myself about 18 months ago. I recently added 4Gigs of RAM to the existing 2Gigs.

Occasionally I get an error message about being out of memory. It during one such episode that I discovered that only 4Gigs of RAM is actually being used.

I've only know about this site for a week or so or I would have been able to give you more specific information.

Maybe Speccy can help you.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BZ5lBkdb8NEFqZXqio87ugv

Any help would be much appreciated but please be very clear and complete. I've had 3 strokes and sometimes it's the most obvious and simple concepts that elude me.

Siuan

Edited by Siuan, 15 May 2011 - 11:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

You will need to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit to utilize all your ram.

#3 Siuan

Siuan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Not the answer I wanted to hear, HOWEVER,

I have several very old games that I love to play. Will I still be able to play them??

I have several USB drives formatted in x32 bit, that I routinely use to move among several computers. Will I still be able to do that??

This computer is in a network with a Vista Laptop & an XP Tower. Will the network still be viable??

Given these issues, would changing from Window 7 x32 to Windows 7 x64 really be a good fit for me??

Siuan

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

it would be a very viable option. All those things will still work. I still play games from 1995 on my Windows 7 64bit systems.

#5 TechSafer

TechSafer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

The only option is to upgrade to 64-bit because 32-bit can only utilize 4GB ram.

Hope this helps.

Louis :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users