Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Only Working in Safemode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DoktorD

DoktorD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

Hi guys.

I just performed a complete re-installation of Windows 7 Ultimate x32 onto a friend's Acer Aspire 5920 which was previously running Windows Vista x32.

All was perfect until I installed a Java and a program that needed it. When I ran the Java dependent program, it came up with an error message stating that Java Runtime Environment was either missing or outdated. I then uninstalled Java and reinstalled directly from the Java website. However, on the verification screen after the installation, my Java was not detected and I was told that "Something is wrong. Java is not working."

I followed the troubleshooting instructions on the website and alas it still will not work/be detected.

I then went searching around online for answers and I ended up doing a clean boot in safemode. There I disabled all running services that were not from Microsoft. Then I revisited the Java site and it was able to detect it. However, after rebooting to normal windows Java still can not be detected even with not running the services I turned off in Safemode.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Try installing Java this way ...

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u25 allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u25-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

*** Running Vista or Windows 7, right click to run as Administrator.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 DoktorD

DoktorD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

This is probably my fault for not mentioning this in the first place, but when I was installing Windows 7, it hung up for 4+ hours on the "Windows is finalizing your settings" dialoge box, so I just restarted and everything went just fine. I figured the possibly botched install could have had something to do with it, so I tried doing another clean install of Windows 7. It did the same thing.

However, while I was reinstalling I saw your response and tried it after I restarted and Windows came up. It did work in the sense that the Java verification screen now does sense Java is installed and working. However, I still get the error "Java Runtime Environment is out of date or missing" from programs.

I'm open to suggestions.. haha..

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u25 is the latest update.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 DoktorD

DoktorD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u25 is the latest update.

Yes, that's the one I downloaded and installed. I have no idea what the problem is at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users