Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Restricted Live-Only Linux?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have an application that, for security purposes, I'd like to run from a Linux "Live" CD. So far, so good.

Now for the tricky part. I would like to make sure the Live CD cannot be used to install a Linux distro on the computer -- I would like to boot into Linux without having the option to install the Linux distro at all.

Does anyone know of such a Live CD, or if it's possible to put one together?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Well, you can install the Linux distro on a flash drive and boot off it as if it were a regular hard drive (assuming the local machine supports booting off a flash drive). It's not the same experience as a "normal" Live CD, but achieves your objective of not being able to install Linux on the local computer. If you want to go this route, let me know and I can give you the directions to do so.

I'm don't know if any Live Linux CD's exist that don't have the option to install the distro.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

xpud normally doesn't offer to install but has only very limited functionality. Knoppix is also normally a live-cd only distro.

As said you can also install any linux distro onto a flash drive and boot from that (it won't show the "install option" then).

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thanks, myrti. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Is UPR (Ubuntu Privacy Remix) any help?
"The goal of Ubuntu Privacy Remix is to provide an isolated working environment where sensitive data can be dealt with safely. The system installed on the computer running UPR remains untouched, UPR is not intended for permanent installation on hard disk. Instead of that Ubuntu Privacy Remix runs from a modified Live-CD based on Ubuntu Linux. All user data reside exclusively on encrypted removable media."

https://www.privacy-cd.org/en

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks very much! The Flash installation might be the easiest way to go, but the other options would probably work as well. Now I just have to test them! :thumbsup:

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Hope it goes well, whichever option you end up using!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users