Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalled windows,internet works but...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tittles

tittles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

i kinda messed up on the backup part.
i still have programs and stuff from my old windows profile but the new one should be empty(i expect it to be like factory settings)

i still have the game client steam and many other software like malware bytes and etc
what was weird was when when steam was updating,the files went onto desktop and during the startup of steam it seemed like desktop crashed a lil,this went for some other files too.

oh and it says my D drive is full

i just want my windows like factory settings but without loosing any drivers that connect to internet :/

can i just delete all the files that dont seem important,is there a program i can use to help?

under documents and settings i have 12 different users;justin,default user,administrator and etc

to be honest,this is just really confusing for me and im having a hard time conducting myself to write this and figure out whats going,ive been lurking on these forums for a while and it seems like you guys are best at what you do,all the other guys ive seen on google like major geeks and other tech forums got nothing on this place.
i need someone with better knowledge to give me instructions and if u dont understand something or need something from me just say so please.

Edited by tittles, 15 May 2011 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Sounds pretty messy. I would start over and find the drivers.

If you are bent on saving the installation, the 1st thing is to make some space on that drive.
Do you have a C and D drive?

Do a search on the whole computer, then sort by size, and delete really big files that you are sure you don't need. (movies, isos for example).

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Did you follow the directions provided by the system manufacturer...for doing a restore-to-factory-defaults?

Louis

#4 tittles

tittles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Sounds pretty messy. I would start over and find the drivers.

If you are bent on saving the installation, the 1st thing is to make some space on that drive.
Do you have a C and D drive?

Do a search on the whole computer, then sort by size, and delete really big files that you are sure you don't need. (movies, isos for example).

yeah i have a C and D drive.

i sorted and deleted some stuff...alot of its random.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

It appears that you did a repair install, which does not get rid of files and installed programs. It also gets rid of your Windows updates.
When you do the recovery boot from the XP CD disc, there has to be an option to return to factory setup or to repair the installation.
You can try again, but this time choose to install a new fresh copy of XP onto your C drive/partition. Leave D partition alone.

I am assuming that your XP installation is on the C drive, and not D, but that may not be the case.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users