Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent Help - Laptop giving some major problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KP2011

KP2011

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, v.5913, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2939 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 60000 MB, Free - 15641 MB; D: Total - 122519 MB, Free - 103904 MB; E: Total - 122723 MB, Free - 87981 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC, Base Board Version, Base Board Serial Number
Antivirus: Quick Heal AntiVirus Pro 12.00, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Im having a major problem - my laptop (TOSHIBA SATELLITE L510, Windows XP SP3) was infected with windows repair virus and i was attacked by nearly 40-50 Trojan virus. I used Malware bytes to remove all virus. This same virus problem happened twice in the span of 1-2 months and both the times using Malware bytes i was able to successfully remove the virus. But, after the first virus attack and after i had cleaned my laptop, i was having trouble starting my laptop in the normal mode. Once in a while it would hang at the blue Welcome screen or at times it would hang at the desktop screen with only the desktop image seen and no icons and the only way to restart would be to hold power button. Sometimes I wud have to restart 2-3 times to get it working normally. Then this problem also passed and for a while I didnt really have this problem, until I had the second virus attack. After cleaning the laptop once again, the same blue screen problem and desktop problem has been happening regularly. Plus im having an additional problem where the laptop gradually freezes after half an hour to max one hour of working. No virus has been found. Laptop is clean but Im just unable to find a solution here. My warranty has expired and no proper laptop repair store in the area I live. Im unable to do my office work and have to keep pressing power button to restart every one hour and restart if once not started properly. Im also getting this msg on startup - could not reconnect all network drives.

I NEED MAJOR HELP, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT IF POSSIBLE, WILL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL. THANKS!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Sounds to me as if a clean install/restoration...would be my start point.

Louis

#3 KP2011

KP2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Thanks. If you dont mind could you guide me more on that, will be helpful!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

I don't think you have the system model correct, http://pc.toshiba-asia.com/portal/public/search.action?a=notebookDetails&currentTab=notebook&modelID=L510&product=Satellite .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2011 - 07:42 AM.

#5 KP2011

KP2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Okay now the strangest thing has happened. All of a sudden my laptop is behaving perfectly normal, super fast and everything seems okay.
Though Im relieved and I love it, Im even more confused. Is this good? Is the laptop functioning okay temporary or permanent?
Any ideas if I need to look at something else or just leave it as it is. Please help. Thanks!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

In my world...a system that runs as it should...is not a problem.

OTOH...symptoms appearing/disappearing would probably be indicative of a hardware problem, IMO. Determining which hardware item would be a process of trial-and-error but I would start with the hard drive and PSU on a desktop. Since you have a laptop and I don't fool with laptops (personal bias)...there's not much I would do, other than take it to a reputable shop and have them look at it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users