Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuttering laptop that stops stuttering after a bump - what does that mean?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snowbarrr

snowbarrr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

My laptop runs fine most of the time, but occasionally, it will start stuttering. I have not identified a cause; it appears to occur randomly, every couple of days. When I move the mouse it will basically stutter. That's the best word I can think of to describe it. It does what I tell it, but every second or so there will be a brief moment where it will stop. If I am playing video or audio during one of these stuttering bouts, that same thing happens. It will play fine but briefly stop and then continue - stutters. The severity and frequency of the stuttering does vary in different occurrences, but in most occurrences the frequency seems to be around once per second with the stutter lasting around 3/10 of a second. During a single stuttering sessions the frequency and severity seem constant.

I had thought the only thing to stop it was to restart, but due to a clumsy friend, I recently discovered a mild bump to the laptop will make the stuttering stop! I'm sure it's really awful for my poor little computer, but I was curious if that was just a coincidence, so I repeated the bump the next time the computer started stuttering, and it successfully stopped the stuttering. So, does anyone know what sort of stuttering problem could be fixed by a bump to the computer?? Is this stuttering something I can prevent in the future?

Computer Stats----------
Processor: Intel dual core T2400 @ 1.82Ghz, 2GB of RAM
Hard drive: Travelstar 7K100 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA (only 5 GB free)

It's a dell inspiron e1505 (also known as 6400) that I've had for probably about 5 years if that tells you anything. I regularly run adaware, spybot, and eusing registery cleaner, and I run avg antivirus constantly. Software-wise, I think it keep it pretty clean.
------------------------

Any explanations/advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. This laptop and I have been through a lot together, i'd like to keep her up and running!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Slapping the device...that's the method some of us formerly used on ancient TVs (1950s/1960s) when technology was not so highly developed :).

Just as it was then...chances are that something is loosened, if such works.

If it were mine, I'd take it to a repair shop...or prepare to look for a replacement.

Louis

#3 snowbarrr

snowbarrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Something loose, eh? So, do you think I could open her up and look for a loose cable? I'd rather not bother with a repair shop, it's pretty old - plus opening it up sounds kind of fun!

I was hoping the nature of the problem would point to a specific area to narrow down my search. Do you think it could be just about any random lose part then?

Edited by snowbarrr, 16 May 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

"Slapping the device...that's the method some of us formerly used on ancient TVs (1950s/1960s)"
Yep and it ususally worked too!

Can you describe it a little more.
Is it like a flickering?

"When I move the mouse it will basically stutter"
I assume this is the built in touchpad.
Does it only happen when you move the mouse?
Have you tried a USB mouse yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 snowbarrr

snowbarrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

I guess a better description would be to say it's the entire computer stuttering. Everything freezes for a moment. The mouse (touchpad or usb), video, and audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users