Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gparted Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Hi, Linux lions. I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Live Linux forum. Probably over there, as it involves a gparted live CD, but ...

The hard drive which I've been trying for days to configure still seems to have odds and ends of at least one distro of Linux on it. I haven't had any luck with Redo MBR or Manage Partitions using my PCLOS CD.

So now I'm trying gparted live. I'm getting all kinds of errors.

ata1: link is slow to respond
ata1: SRST failed errno 16
ata1: soft resetting link
DRDY and UNC errors ...

Any suggestions at all on how to wipe or rebuild this drive would be so appreciated, even if it's not tried and true. Absolutely nothing is working. I think there is at least one bad sector on the drive from corrupted data writing, but I have to reason just from listening to the drive and knowing that it experienced no physical trauma to think that there's anything mechanically wrong with it.

Thanks so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Haven't tried it myself...but Darik's Boot&Nuke is supposed to be very good at wiping hard drives.

http://www.dban.org/

Edited by mrfingerz, 15 May 2011 - 02:17 PM.

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thank you, Mr. I thought, *thought* I had wiped the drive via PCLOS, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Do you think that once it's wiped for sure, I should be able to redo the MBR and partitions, and maybe install PCLOS?

Thanks.

#4 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Hopefully. I tried PCLOS on a live cd not that long ago and couldn't get it to run at all (on an old computer).

Ubuntu runs fine on the same computer. Like I say I haven't had to use Boot&Nuke yet. It does sound like it destroys everything in it's path though.

Good luck, be interesting to know how you get on.

Edited by mrfingerz, 15 May 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Thanks much. I'll surely give it a try.

BTW, I can't run Ubuntu live at all on my old computer (HP Pavilion, early 2002). I've tried Mint also, and I think that caused many of my problems of having remnants. PCLOS will run ... slowwwwllllyyyyyyyy ... but I can't get the system utilities to do much, if anything.

Thanks again.

#6 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

You could try PuppyLinux.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

That looks cool! Thanks again.

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've tried live cd of it, it's very good. Definitely worth a go. As it runs in RAM it should work even if the hard drive is toast.

Edited by mrfingerz, 15 May 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

I'm exploring Puppy now. It's definitely much faster than the other live CDs. Gparted is running via the Puppy CD. Running and running and *running.* I don't know if there even are any partitions on this drive any more. I've tried to run and/or install so many programs, I'm sure anything on it is very corrupt.

I'm just hoping that Puppy or the DBAN or something, somewhere, will give me some way to scan the drive and try to repair bad sectors/clusters, like chkdsk would in Windows.

#10 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to achieve, but Parted Magic has a varied selection of tools, including Gparted and reformat/bad sector check ability. You can read about that here.

#11 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

I know that I have at least one bad sector/cluster. I want to find and repair it or skip over it, so that I can actually install Linux, absolutely any distro would be fine right now, just to get my HDD rebuilt and bootable.

I burned the Pmagic CD, but haven't made much progress with it. I'll try it again. The reformat/bad sector check is definitely what I need first, as I can't get any distro to install. Gparted on the Puppy CD has only told me that the drive is unallocated, which I knew. It throws errors when trying to create a partition table, but it doesn't say what or why. I imagine it's the bad sector(s).

Thanks for the link. Hopefully it'll guide me toward some good progress. I really do like Puppy also. I couldn't even run Gparted from its own CD nor from Pmagic, so Puppy has helped me a lot there.

Thanks again.

#12 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

You're welcome, hopefully it will help you get something installed that boots.

#13 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

When booting pmagic, I'm now getting:

EDD Error 8000 reading sector 82896

I posted it to the pmagic forum. I've pestered you good people enough. There HAS to be a way to get me to that sector and any other damaged sectors and tell a disk tool to skip them! Somehow, someway, someday. Argghhhh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users